Headphone (maybe) noob

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atjan

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm playing with the idea of getting a set of cans for listening when my kids are making a racket or when I want to listen loud and everyone else needs a rest. ;D

Anyway, I'm planning to run the cans off my Maverick Audio D1 TubeMagic. Not a dedicated amp but by the sounds of it (HeadFi) pretty decent. My best situation would have been me grabbing my CC and getting a pair of Sennheiser HD555's. Reason being that they are not costing the earth, although to me not cheap, is pretty comfortable (I don't like on/in ear phones) and if I feel adventurous it appears they can be "upgraded" to sound like the HD595's.

Now, considering that I've not yet decided this is for me, I'm not planning to spend more than R500 (although less would be better). What options are out there? What could you recommend?
Looking around on the classifieds there's not many used ones going....so I may have to buy new...unless someone here has a pair.  ;)

Latest posts