DVD: Diana Krall - Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Got this on Saturday.  Played it on my new Panasonic plasma screen via cheap Pioneer 355 DVD player, Valve Audio Predator amp and Sonor Audio Cadence speakers (stereo).

I have a few of Diana's CD's but this is my 1st DVD of her.

I was pleased with the quality both of the the visuals which played at 480i resolution via my cheap Pioneer DVD (via component).  The camera work is good and the lighting pleasing.  I especially enjoyed the vertical shot of her hands when she was getting stuck into the piano solo's.

Audio repoduction was probably the best I've heard from the cheap Pioneer.  Not nearly as "thin" sound as is usually the case from other DVD sound tracks.  (Clearly I'll have to upgrade my DVD player soon to match the quality of my screen and my CD player, although I havent found anyone brave enough to recommend a match for the Electrocompaniet CD player in DVD with respect to sound quality).

Tracks I particularly liked were:
3 Stop This World
4 The Girl in the Other Room
5 Abandoned Masqurade
7 Temptation
9 Devil May Care (not quite as good an interpretation as that of her "Live in Paris" Album, I'll have to get that DVD now as well because thats one of my favourites off that album).
10 Black Crow
11 Narrow Daylight

Not having seen her perform live before it was nice to get an insight into her character, as well physically see what an accomplished pianist she is (something you tend to not realise without seeing her perform, because her voice tends to overshadow her piano in pure CD).

Just wish I had an audiophile level DVD player as I said to do this DVD justice. 

Can highly recommend it.

Latest posts