Author Topic: Help ! 12 volt to 9 volt "gadget" ?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Bernard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Stereo .... what stereo ?
Help ! 12 volt to 9 volt "gadget" ?
« on: May 12, 2022, 12:35:26 PM »
OK. So Vodacom in Great Brak River are no longer replacing their standby batteries in their cell towers.
Due to theft by druggies and the squatters nearby.

So loadshedding leaves us all incommunicado. Nada.

The wifi router needs a 9volt supply. How can I step down the 12 volts from a car battery to 9v so we at least have Internet and WhatsApp Etc. ? Can I make something (need pictures. lol) or is there something on the shelf ?

I've looked at circuits online and it's a bit out of my league.

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • It all comes down to the room

Offline kinosfronimos

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I've found music to be the therapy of choice
Re: Help ! 12 volt to 9 volt "gadget" ?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »
I recently started this thread, and got the device on takealot mentioned in the thread: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?topic=99948.0

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

Monitor Audio Speakers: BR6's, BX-FX's, RX-C; ASW100 Cambridge Audio: Asure 540R V3 & 540D V2; Samsung LED: 46EH5300; Xonar U3 DAC; Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear I & Sony WH-1000M3 Headphones; Denon DM41 mini-Hi-Fi

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 01:57:13 PM »
You looking for a step down converter. You can check by Led Select them to https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/4397469/Diy_Select_-_Cape_Town
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

It's really fun to scare people. (Sabine Schmitz 14.05.1969 - 15.03.2021) RIP

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

It's really fun to scare people. (Sabine Schmitz 14.05.1969 - 15.03.2021) RIP

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 02:57:12 PM »
@Bernard these work very well and is a whole lot cheaper than trying to use a 12V battery, inverter/charger, etc.
Both of the 2 suggestions below can be set to output 9v, 12v, 15v or 24V. It also has a 5v USB output.

https://www.takealot.com/mini-portable-ups-power-supply-for-cctv-modem-and-led-s-q-a212/PLID71290652

and here is one which includes some adapters too, although my routers all work just fine with the standard cable included with the above one

https://www.takealot.com/technopaqt-wifi-router-backup-power-dc-mini-ups-long-ac-and-dc-c/PLID73307347

These also works well if you require POE (Power over Ethernet)
https://www.takealot.com/volkano-mini-ups-for-wifi-or-cctv-with-multi-output-constant-ser/PLID73138756
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 03:19:25 PM by Wolla »

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 03:35:19 PM »
Thanks guys. The Communica one looked like Plan A ... but they were sold out.

I have just ordered the Step Down Buck Converter Charger 5A XL4015 for R66. Can use it a battery charger as well, if needs be.
Added 3mm and 5mm nickle strip to the list as well, so I can remake my laptop battery.

R208 to PostNet in Great Brak River.

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 03:43:40 PM »
Bernard[/member] these work very well and is a whole lot cheaper than trying to use a 12V battery, inverter/charger, etc.
Both of the 2 suggestions below can be set to output 9v, 12v, 15v or 24V. It also has a 5v USB output.

Thanks Wolla .... budget won't allow me, but those do look to be an elegant solution. I have an old 12v battery in the lounge already which powers a strip LED and charges the cell phones. The router is about 2m from the battery so everything is pretty close.

I'm only doing this exercise because those idiots keep stealing the Vodacom batteries. I can also run this little board off the solar panel / battery which is in the bedroom.

My house does not look like a house. lol Tools in the lounge, reloading equipment in the bedroom etc.  :)

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 04:09:47 PM »
Ag nooo .. Murphy's Law !!!

I've just noticed that there is a lan cable going from the router power supply brick to the dish as well !!!! Do I need to supply power to the dish as well ?
Or is the power simply there for the red light so SAA doesn't fly into it ?

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 05:51:22 PM »
Ag nooo .. Murphy's Law !!!

I've just noticed that there is a lan cable going from the router power supply brick to the dish as well !!!! Do I need to supply power to the dish as well ?
Or is the power simply there for the red light so SAA doesn't fly into it ?

Could well be the POE I mentioned. Take a pic and lets see what you have there.

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 01:25:51 PM »
This is the "box" I was talking about. Correct Wolla.....it has POE printed on it.

I'm guessing I would need to find out which two wires are the + and - and check the voltage ?

What is the reason for not inserting the outside antenna cable straight into the router ? I don't need a red light on top of the roof. LOL

Sent from my telephone.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 03:23:07 AM by FranZAR »

Online FranZAR

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 03:25:07 AM »
This is the "box" I was talking about. Correct Wolla.....it has POE printed on it.

I'm guessing I would need to find out which two wires are the + and - and check the voltage ?

What is the reason for not inserting the outside antenna cable straight into the router ? I don't need a red light on top of the roof. LOL

Sent from my telephone.

The antenna needs power, hence the POE (Power Over Ethernet) adaptor. If the router (only some do) has a POE port, you can plug it straight into it. If not, you need the adaptor.
Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|SP10|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 04:48:37 PM »
The antenna needs power, hence the POE (Power Over Ethernet) adaptor. If the router (only some do) has a POE port, you can plug it straight into it. If not, you need the adaptor.

Just my luck. lol No POE port on the router. I'll just plug that box into the PC UPS (With 2 x 8 Ah batteries) in the interim.  I'm waiting for my friend across town to get her Axxess DSL line in. Telkom are dragging their feet, as usual. It looks far cheaper than than our WiFi. If I like her set up then I'll convince the people here to drop the WiFi and go for Axxess. Then the ADSL router here just needs the little transformer I've bought.

Offline bees007

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 09:33:40 AM »
This would have been your best, cheapest solution to the issue:

https://www.takealot.com/ultralan-micro-ups-dc-usb-poe-17w-8-8ah/PLID70776331

Sold a bucketload of these, they work great.

The UPS you’re using isn’t made for loadshedding, it’s used for protection of the equipment while you sort out the trip, starting the generator, or shutting down the equipment connected the UPS.

Offline johan.pretorius

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • more signal, less noise
    • My vinyl feed on Instagram
Help ! 12 volt to 9 volt "gadget" ?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 09:39:39 AM »
Another vote for the UltraLan, I use one to keep 2 units running (fibre ONT and router). Works like a charm, easily copes with loadshedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:42:20 AM by johan.pretorius »
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.