Vinly Revelation.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simphiwes

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I am sure the regulars on this forum have noticed i humbly asked for anyone who had a TT to give away to send it my way. Initialy i had mediocre expectation of what performance i would get from which ever unit i get and anyway my experience though very faded were nothing to write home about, mediocre to irritating at times. Dirty records was what i was exposed to added to and  that the TT's were often not properly set up didnt help issues. Most of the music i listened to then was riddled with crackling sounds which distracted me from the music and i suppose it would be understandable i would be a little apprehensive in going back to this medium. i took the plunge out of curiosity. When i listened to vinly in my early days of music enthusiasm the vinlys werent mine, the hifis werent mine and the upkeep of the vinyls wasnt my responsibility. to cut a long story short, i got the Garrard SP25 MKIII and was pleasantly surprised.

The records that i had inherited where as mentioned above riddled with crackling noises and were minimally enjoyable but the one's i got recently from a friendly guy in Midrand were nothing short of superb. i sat up all night changing one record after the other. The vinlys i listened to i also had CD originals thereof. I can say this much, CD has nothing on vinly eccept convinience. To my ears vinly just sounded so much better. Realism was like nothing i have ever heard before, but best of all i wasnt so concernd as to whether the music was imaging correctly or whether the timber was correct or not it just sounded like music to my ears. Sibilance was non existant, purcussions didnt sound splashy like they do on CD, imaging was wonderful, the sound was just better than CD. I know it can also be argued that sounding different does not necessarily mean it sounds better but in my opnion the sounding different most definately sounded better to me. I can now comfortably say i am a Vinly convert. Thanks Gawie.

Latest posts