Umik with holm impulse step by step to measure and built a xo.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Julian_S

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi gents...

I know Rudi have experience with this and obviously some others here...
So tx to rudi I have this Minidsp Umik - 1.
I have downloaded the holmimpulse software and also the Minidsp Umik-1 calibration file for my serial.

Anyway,, I thought it would be useful to do a step by step dummy guide.
1 - it would help me learn this stuff and terms that I don't understand when reading about it and
2 - it can benefit other newbie's like me as well...

So I am here asking for all your help to get this thread going...
I don't have much time so will pop in and out occasionally....

Setting the goal...

My goal will be to join 5 drivers to get the most out of them on an open baffle.
After that I'd like to do something similar for a two way monitor.
I want to measure each driver , learn what I am looking at / analyse the measurements and then eventually learn how to cross drivers over ( these 5)......

I understand there will be kits of views on what to do and what not , but I suspect this will give a good learning curve be it right or wrong drivers and options chosen etc is not the aim perhaps.
So assuming it is the best matches and that's already decided , how to get them
Sing together best in the end is the goal for me....

Here are the drivers in question and plans....
It is a Philips ad12100 m8 12" fullrange 8ohms and want that to play from it's lowest natural capability upto 90hz only
In parallel to that but a bit higher up a goodmans 12" fullrange 15 ohms and want to play that from it's lowest natural capability( claimed to be 30hz)  upto 200hz only.
Then the Philips ad9710 m fullrange 8 ohms from 200hz to 6k ( apparently it might need a notch filter due to a 6db or so peak at about 2k)
Then the romagna reproducer ribbon tweeter array from 6k upto wherever it will go.would like to use the ribbon alone here as I don't even know the name of the other driver in the array , but have been told the romagna is not very HE and also it is 15 ohms( Neve found any other info in this driver).

A few notes ....
I have collected some measures and info on these drivers( goodmans , 9710 and 12100) done by others on the net, but mainly for different applications ... But I do think those measures can also be used to compare or check against....

I am very eager to do this .... So pls try help and not burst my bubble..
These Vintage drivers was chosen for a few reasons , it was available at good prices and I wanted he drivers for the 300b... They were all in an effort to go single driver but now I found I like different qualities of each better and would like to join those qualities...
It might be a complete fail in the end to high end audio guru's but I promise I will luv it...

I would like to work from the middle out and for mid I chose the 9710 m driver and would like to use it from as low to as high as this driver can naturally perform ? Perhaps with the notch filter mentioned).
I would then like to fill the highs and lows in as per above and get it to integrate as flat as possible...it doesn't have to be perfect to any std but the best possible with stock in hand.

So the first steps I guess is to measure the 9710 for midrange :
A) how to get holmimpulse to recognize the Umik and calibration file ? Any help ?
B) what measurements are required ?
B.1) I read about farfield , nearfield , gated , half space , etc... Which one is the correct type ? Pls explain.
B.2) But what about the lower bass ? Same method ? Cause I read that it might need different types if measurements.
C) is there any specific steps I should take to mount the driver ? A vice grip in free air halfway to ceiling and away from sidewalks etc... how best ?
D) what is each setup step to be used in ten holmimpulse software ? I see lots of values I have no clue about , but need to know exactly what values to check and what they mean and what to use where in the setup for the software.
E) how to connect the mic exactly to amps , laptop , etc ?
F) f for finally .. How to execute and save the results for sharing.

The next steps would then be analyzing the results etc...

Thanks in advance.
I want to take pics and screenshots and write each step to be confirmed by the experts here on this thread for documentation purposes and others to perhaps use someday.