Turntable Guidance

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Signet

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All

Been a while since I posted.  Life got the better of me. 

Not the real expert in all things HiFi and HT but know the basics and keen to expand on my knowledge. 

Needed some guidance regarding a turntable.  I am looking to get into vinyl. 
I have been gifted a Pioneer PL-X33Z frisbee player.  Been told all mechanical works. 

1. It does not have a stylus.  Needle seems to have broken but rest of arm looks intact. 
Question - should I replace stylus with stock or aftermarket and where is best place to get one?
I have been looking at articles on replacement cartridges etc.  Would this be a better option? 
Looking at this as a Starter Set up so do not want to rob the bank in getting it up and running. 

2. Power Supply.  I note it comes with a 3.5mm male looking jack for power.  I gather this was for plugging into the original amp.  Is there anything else that I could use for plugging this into to provide power? 
Or should I cut the ends and join to a 12V adapter? 

Before taking it to an expert (either JHB or DBN) wanted the valuable inputs of other experts from the forum

If it is going to cost in total in excess of R2000 I was thinking that maybe start of purchasing another used working unit.  And once I get into vinyl start repairing this to compare sounds. 

3. I am using a Cambridge Audio Azure 540 AVR as the amp in stereo mode with an oldish pair of Philips 120W Speakers.  Value for money, is the Project E Phono Box E @ around R1300 or so the best Phono Preamp to get good sound. 

The TT is currently in Durban but will bring it up at the end of the month to JHB.