Switching AV Equipment On and Off Frequently

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hello, gents.

My little AV centre currently consists of an OLED TV, a Denon amp, Grundig front L&R speakers, a Wharfedale Diamond centre, Energy 12in sub, PS4, PS2, 4K UHD Blu-Ray player, 1080p Blu-Ray player and other minor accessories. Quite obviously and despite being as insured as I can be, surge/brownout protection is high up on my list in respect of all that kit. I cannot install surge arrestors/protection in the house's DB just yet.

My current electrical protection set-up is like so:

Wall socket -> UPS with built-in surge protection -> 30A stove/geyser isolator switch -> Ellies surge protector multi-plug (itself having a R30,000 warranty for whatever is connected to it) -> all of the above kit.

Not one piece of equipment is directly connected to City Power/Eskom for good reason. The UPS is in place not only to add an extra layer of surge protection but also to provide me with an opportunity to (quickly) turn everything off properly in the event of a mains failure. None of the kit is hard-wired to any router or network switch - I once had a nearby lightning strike cripple my desktop PC's LAN port on the motherboard because the LAN cable ran through the ceiling for a good 15m to the ADSL router on other end of the house, despite the copper ADSL line having been unplugged from the router.

I never leave the entire AV centre on stand-by: I switch the 30A isolator switch on every time I want to use any of it and switch the whole lot off when I'm done with it. Occasionally or in thunderstorms, I remove the plug from the wall socket altogether.

My question: what harm, if any, can occur by frequently switching the AV centre on and off (once or twice a day at most) using the 30A isolator switch? In other words, is it possible to damage anything by switching the incoming power on and off too often?

Latest posts