Speaker cabling, help me see the light.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ch@pS

Reaction score
Hi there people.

Another advice request thread, expect to see alot of these from me, I'm an eager noob trying to learn. :)

Ok, so a few weeks back I bought a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 10.1's, very happy with them so far. :D Anywho been reading a bit about speaker cabling and realised I was currently using them with some carden variety flex, you know, they kind of thing you use to make lights and such. I've always figured a cable is a cable is a cable, why bother with the good stuff? Anyway cleaning out the house and found a few metres of "Liang GongSuper 999.8 Semaphore cable", or in english the cheap speaker cable that came free with my dad's TLS speakers in the lounge. Crap stuff, the speakers and the cable...or so i thought. I replaced the flex with the wong fu jimmy chang cable and found my speakers came alive! The flex really is muddy and detracts so much from the experience, I was truly shocked!

So what I'm wanting to know is, what locally available cable would you guys suggest? I need at most 3m of the stuff, so is there anything cheap and cheerful at a good price? I don't think I'm ready to pay huge prices(over R60 per metre to me is a huge price lol) for cable just yet, so if we could keep it under that I'd appriciate it.

Next... At the moment I'm connecting my PC (X Fi that came with my Rampage II Extreme) to my NAD T741 via a no name brand optical cable, would there be any benefit in me replacing this?

Thanks in advance.