So you think you ears are good...really ?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jozua

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gents

I am often amazed by what people consider to be good sound and i repeatedly find myself silently shocked when expensive audio systems do not live up to expectations. 

The interesting part for me is that we all appreciate live sound as having fixed attributes (immediacy, impact, dynamics etc.) but when it comes to home sound reproduction there is no fixed standard of how it should sound.

Could it be that having small living environments, the easy availability of cell phone music and cheap warehouse audio systems have influenced the bulk of the population to consider poor sound as quite acceptable- "as long as it makes a loud noise it is good" ? 

The situation with car audio is even worse- I can count the cars with well defined bass on one hand- the rest are just undefined bass thumps. Yet people love it- why ?

So in the absence of a common standard for sound reproduction amongst audiophiles,  how much different are we really to the man in the street who enjoys his "el-cheapo" sound system ?

Jozua

Latest posts