Sennheiser HD540 Reference Gold Restoration Project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I picked up a pair of late 80's / early 90's HD540's on the weekend ... no real need for them but was curious to know how they sounded.  And I'm happy to say they sound bloody good, and they are among the most comfortable cans ever. On head-fi some people swear by these as the best open-backed conventional headphones ever.  Also they look really good in an old-world sort of way with the retro-styled Phonitor amp. 

So much so that I want to spend some money to restore get them back to their original glory.  The overall condition of the phones is very good, but the wooden carry case has seen better days. 

So I need some advice please ...

[list type=decimal]
[*]  The ear pads are separating between the ear cloth and the surround.  I'm going to stich it up for now, but these are worthy of news pads.  Where can I find reasonably priced replacements?  I've read HD560 velour pads can work (even if it is shallower) as well as HD250 pleather pads.  Koss UR20, Phillips SHP2000 and Shure SRH can also be made to fit.
[*]  The foam back liner is missing ... can acoustic cloth be used instead of open cell foam for a more transparent performance?
[*]  The leads are OK but probably also due for replacement ... HD250 will fit I believe.  Where to find it though?
[*]  The box needs to be sanded down and re-varnished.  Who would be ale to re-apply the silk-screened Sennheiser logo?
[*]  The box clasp is scuffed and the plating is tarnished ... where can I get this replated?
[/list]

Any help will be hugely appreciated!

Latest posts