Power Tools

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerhard

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I'd like to get the DYIers around here's opinion on the brands of power tools they use.

It has been my experience that certain brands have gone for a nose-dive over the last couple of years. I am talking about Bosch and Ryobi specifically.

My brother and I have built up a decent collection of tools over the years and the brands have of necessity moved up into the industrial bracket lately. Originally I thought Ryobi represented excellent value for money. I bought a Ryobi 12V cordless drill that is still working great and it has been put through its paces ;) but it is probably older than 3 years. I still have a Bosch angle grinder (small one) that I got more than 15 years ago and it still works great. Same goes for my Bosch hammer drill, more than 10 years old.

Then something happened ??? ???

Here's a couple of experiences we've had with some of our recent purchases.

• We got a Ryobi circular saw. Did a couple of cuts when a rubber stopper came off while I was doing a cut. The screw that held it in place fell out and chipped two or three of the blade's teeth!! It could have taken out someone's eye!!
  • We got a 800W Ryobi drill and its first job was to drill a 50mm hole through a wall for a drain pipe. We got about 30mm into the wall when the motor or bearings packet up. Made a hell of noise when running free.
  • Our brand new Bosch router had less than 5 hours under its belt when its bearings went. Had it repaired at half the original purchase price and guess what? It lasted almost 2 hours this time :mad: :mad:

I've decided not again...

I bought a Triton circular saw to replace the replacement Ryobi. The Ryobi drill was replaced with a 1200W AEG (what a stunning machine - ate the wall like pie!). The router was replaced with a Makita 3612C.

Now, all these tools were labeled as DIY and their prices reflected that (first clue...) but based on past experience Bosch and Ryobi were a little better than other so-called DIY tools. I can say with absolute conviction that none of the three tools mentioned here were pushed beyond what is reasonable. I am convinced that all three tools would have gone up in smoke if they were left running free for an hour - let alone under load! The Makita will probably never die!

I know one can't compare a Makita with a Ryobi. But hell, I am a DYIer. If the so called DIY tools can't handle DIY jobs, what are you supposed to do with them? We could have gone for cheaper brands but if you're going to spend > R2500 on a router (which is what it'll take to get out of the DIY sector and get the features you want) you might as well go balls-to-the-wall and get the best for R700 more. OK, Festool is probably better than Makita (maybe not) but > R5000 is pushing it!!

After speaking with several people "green" Bosch and "blue" Ryobi should be avoided. Blue Bosch and white? Ryobi - both the industrial versions - are better. But at their prices I'd rather add a little and get the Makita's or DeWalts of this world.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'd like to get your opinions on which brands are good buys.

Here's what I have heard and/or experienced:

Makita - fabulous! Don't know about service - would suspect good (I hope :eek:)
DeWalt - excellent quality but you pay for the name. Good service.
Metabo - good quality, poor service.
Triton - my experience with the circular saw is excellent. Heard their routers vibrate a lot. Local distributor apparently changed recently so service could go either way.
AEG - good quality, don't know about service.
Hitachi - very good quality, don't know about service.

Your thoughts?

Latest posts