Polk DSW 3000 repair

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnavid

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

Today I seriously need to draw on the collective wisdom of this forum  :help:! I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions.

I bought a Polk DSW 3000 micropro subwoofer knowing that it was not working. Don't ask me what I effectively paid for it, cause you just going to make me cry again. You can see the specs of the sub with the link below, but long story it is a very nice subwoofer.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/dsw/index.php?s=dswmicropro3000

I thought it might be a quick fix then I could use this amazing sub for myself, but audiotronic told me today that it is a R8000 job to fix :faint:, hence it is not economical to repair through them. As I said, this is a very nice subwoofer and it will be a waste to just chuck it away. Btw, it is 6 or so months out of its 3 year warranty on the amp component.

They said the "module" needs replacement. Based on my primitive understanding of a subwoofer it consists of 4 parts.
[list type=decimal]
[*]The enclosure;
[*]the actual woofers (and bass radiator in this case);
[*]the amplifier; and
[*]the electronics controlling everything (phase and volume settings, this one has its own bass calibration)
[/list]

The "module" they referring to is the 3 and 4 above.

I'm thinking of going down one of two routes at the moment:
1. Take the "module" to a "street smart" repair shop that can maybe repair / replace the damaged components of the "module"?
    Anyplace you can recommend that could do this?

2. Take out the module and DIY in new guts for the sub.
    Here are plenty of freakin amazing DIY'ers on this forum (JimGore, I've been watching you!). Any suggestions?

Are there any other viable options to salvage any value from this sub?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your comments

Latest posts