Notebook Options and i7 Processor

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santoshlv426

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I need some advice here guys.
I'm looking into an i7 Notebook, preferably Dell. the recommendations from service, support and reliability seem to indicate Dell, Asus or Lenovo.

I'm comparing the current 5th Gen 5500 i7 processor with the 4th Gen and the 4th Gen i5 and getting pretty confused as the 5th Gen i7 is a Broawell with 2 cores whereas the 4th Gen's i5 and i7 are quads.

I know that Intel's taken this decision to reduce power consumption and get closer to calling the machines Ultrabooks.

Performance wise, does anyone have any expereince ? I'm currently using a 4th Gen i5 (previously used a 4th Gen i7 Dell Ultrabook with a 128 GB SSD - Man this thing kicked butt !!)

My choices seem to be narrowed to the Dell 5548.

Another question, should I pay more for the Amd Radeon(tm0 R7 M265 - 4GB ) or the Nvida GEForce 270 (2GB). Both I understand are "entry level" graphics processors.

To answer the obvious, the machine will  be used for SOHO purposes.

I've been a bit alarmed recently with my current home Insprion 1545 (Core 2 Due - Intel 4600) when I was using an Excel file with numerous graphs and Active X controls. While working with a spinner button, it disappeared !!

Then all the graphs disappeared - from all the sheets !!

Initially I thought it was a graphics display issue but it seemed to have saved the entire document in that way.

Has anyone expereinced this ??

Thanks guys
Santosh

Latest posts