NAD T743

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoIsJOB

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New member here :)

Received a NAD T743 two weeks ago that was standing in a closet for about 10+ years(!!) and hooked her up to 5 NAD 8ohm speakers and the NAD subwoofer that I got with a different NAD from a family member.
Input was digital out from my PC.
She works, but after about 1.5 hours she just shuts down into protection mode (red light) with the speakers making a POP and a second later another POP.
It doesn't turn on again except if I unplug for a few hours.

Checked all the speaker wires and they are fine (they work perfectly on the other NAD).
Unplugged power for the night, set the surround mode to Stereo and unhooked the sub, and same thing happened this morning (after 1.5 hours again).
I don't listen to loud music - it was soft ambience while working and then it happened again with another POP of the speakers.

I'm not gonna try again for fear of damaging the speakers, but what should I look out for?
I've checked for blown fuses, capacitors are fine (no bulges on any of them) and soldering also looks good inside.
I thought of overheating, but she doesn't get warm and there's open space above her (standing on my desk).
(tried to check everything I know of with the help of an uncle who's an electrical engineer and built radio's back in the 70's from his res room).

Help would be appreciated (even if referencing to someone who knows NAD in the Boland/Cape Town area), as I would like to know more about the inner workings of amps and the circuits in audio in general  :)

Will open it up again over the weekend after receiving suggestions.

Latest posts