My custom speaker project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, so I've been doing a fair amount of woodworking the last couple of weeks (my first time, actually!!) so here goes:

Project details
2 x MTM Front speakers
These use two Seas CA18RLY 7" woofers (from Alex / AudioSA) and a Seas 27TDFC tweeter (from Madisound). These are mounted in 90l vented boxes as suggested by Bassbox and WinISD. The crossovers still need to be designed, but I'm aiming for around 2kHz 4th order. This will be confirmed once the speakers are installed into the enclosures.

2 x TM Surround speakers
These use a Seas CA18RLY 7" woofer and a Seas 27TDFC tweeter. These are mounted in 40l vented boxes. Again, I still have to design the crossovers for these, but here I'll probably go for around 2.5kHz 4th order. My idea with these are that they'll be proper speakers in their own right, not simply a couple of drivers in a box.

2 x Active Subs
These use JBL 12" car subs (from Autostyle) These are mounted in 60l sealed boxes. Driving them are my custom plate amps. These drive around 300WRMS into 4R and are loosely based on the ESP sub amps. Also, these are driven by 12dbEQ/Crossover stage so that I can tune these flat to around 25Hz, crossed at around 65Hz.

All the above boxes were made from 22mm MDF and all have removable front baffles (except for the subs, of course! ;D) All the baffles are 44mm thick (composite of two layers of mdf) The boxes are painted in automotive 2k black. I decided to give this a try first and to tackle the veneers after I have a little more experience. The flared ports and connector dishes all came from Alex (you will notice that I'm trying to score some browny points with him, to improve my discount I get from him  ;D ;D ;D ;D) For designing the crossover, I'll do the initial design and measurements with Soundeasy (once I figured it all out) and then verifying that with listening test through my newly acquired DCX digital crossover. Once I'm happy with the crossover frequencies, I'll use MKT caps and wind my own inductors. I'll check the performance on that and upgrade to boutique caps if warranted (This is where you come in, Alex  ;D ;D).

Here I'm waiting for the glue to set on one of the surround speakers. I kept it together with tie-downs.
Picture203.jpg

I hope that is enough weight for the composite baffles to set  ;D ;D
Picture214.jpg

The boxes prior to final primer coats
Picture229.jpg

The boxes with the baffles mounted (for the photoshoot ;D) prior to the first basecoat going on
Picture233.jpg

Piano finish anyone? ;D ;D This is only after two clear coats! The coats need to be flattened and another 4 or so coats need to go on...
Picture239.jpg

The heatsinks/chassis for the plate amps
Picture241.jpg

I'm quite impressed with the results so far. There is quite a bit of sanding and polishing still left, so it will take some time before I start mounting drives to hear what they sound like.

Once completed, I'll do a write-up of all the lessons learned for everybody's benefit.

Cheers

Gert

Latest posts