Exogal Comet and Ion - Using calculus to determine sound, not steps.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markc

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I have spent some time with a very interesting pair of devices I acquired and thought I would share my thoughts and some information on how it works and sounds.

When Wadia was sold a couple of the technical guys, Jim Kinne, Larry Jacoby, Jeff Haagenstad, and Jan Larsen left and formed Exogal.

The name comes from Exo (Out of) and Gal (Galaxy)."out of this galaxy."

The Comet DAC.

The dac uses a completely different approach to recreating the original music waveform, it applies Calculus functions on the data to reconstruct the waveform.
In Calculus, it?s all about interpreting slopes and rates of change. Remember the old problem: ?If you throw a ball that weighs X, at an angle that measures Y, with force Z, how high will the ball go, and where will it land?? That math problem takes straight-line forces and calculates curves to obtain a result.

So, where an older technology DAC reconstructs the waveform by connecting the dots with straight lines, we connect them with curves. Each segment from sample to sample has a curve of its own, and the steepness, depth and sharpness of the curve depends not only on what?s happening between two adjacent samples, it also depends on what?s happening in the adjacent samples. When the curve segments are connected, they re-form a waveform that is a closer representation of the original signal.
The best way to describe this is to show a picture.

Picture1.jpg

Original Analog waveform

Picture2.jpg

Digital representation.

Picture3.jpg

Typical dac vs Comet.

The Ion Amplifier.

This is an amazing piece of kit, it is not Class D. Something totally new.

The bottom line is that they sound very good, not at all digital. Smooth but very fast and detailed.

It is great seeing and listening to something new that works and sounds so good. Love it!

This is a very brief introduction, those interested can read the detail in the white paper I have linked here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/grjzqn24u3t1a11/EXOGAL-DAC-and-PowerDAC-White-Paper-Revised.pdf?dl=0

The manufacturers web site is here:https://exogalaudio.com/

Latest posts