DIY Shure SRH1540 headphone cable

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvebain

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using my Shure SRH1540 headies at home (as opposed to it's usual office use), to allow me to listen to music LOUD, but in silence :)

Issue was that the cables they come with is both single ended, and not balanced -- I've even cut the 3.5mm jack of one of them, hoping for a quick mod to balanced, but unfortunately it is a 3 wire cable, with a common ground.
In addition, thought these headies use the same type of MMCX connection as it's IEM counterpart (SE535/846/etc.) the barrel is longer on the SRH1540...

As such, DIY'ing a custom cable, using the conductors that I stripped from come Mogami W3106cable.

I considered purchasing some connectors that should work on the SRH1540, but the only available option was those from China... and I don't want wait 6weeks for LunaShops or AliExpress to ship them, and don't want to spend USD.60 just for express shipping on just a pair of connectors.. Also, they looked pretty crappy.

Finally decided to rather go with a pair of MMCX connectors typically used for for Wi-Fi devices as the connectors.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of these connectors from RS Components, so quickly whipped up the braided cable; Below is an image of the new prepped DIY headphone cable:

20170224_212740.jpg

Thinking of spray-painting the connectors matt black, to better fit the motif of the SRH1540, as I did with the paracord colours of the cable.

I also dislike the look of exposed heatshink.. so currently using clear heatshrink for the splitter.
Perhaps a better idea would be DIY'ing a custom cable splitter, with a piece of rectangular Alu.. or source some uBer-small but relatively thick o-rings... Don't want plastic or wood for this cable -- Need to give it more thought.