DIY R-2R dual-mono DAC project - Soekris dam1021 Rev 4 (0.012% resistor version)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvebain

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Project space for the my DIY R-2R dual-mono DAC project, comprising of two Soekris dam1021 Rev 4 (0.012% resistor version) DAC boards, dual independent AC power supplies, and  an Amanero Combo384 USB to I2C Module

Project is going to be done in phases, so reduce cost in case I don't like the sound, etc.
However, due to shipping costs and delivery times, some items may have to be purchased together.

There are 3 main phases that I envision:
  • Phase 1: Getting a 'taste' of the sound offered, and if it works for me compared to an of-the-shelf product
  • Phase 2: Getting the dual-mono of the sound, and again checking if it works for me compared to an of-the-shelf product
  • Phase 3: Getting a display and interface for the DAC.
::phase 1::
Without going into too much expense, I want to set-up a single Soekris dam1021 Rev 4 (0.012% resistor version) DAC board, with the intended 'audiophile grade' toroidal transformer, and the Amanero Combo384 USB to I2C Module.

Components:
Misc
  • Hook-up wire - Transformer to DAC board: 15AWG Solid Core UPOCC Silver Wire  - Purchased, awaiting Delivery
  • Hook-up wire - USB to I2C Module to DAC board: 20AWG Solid Core UPOCC Silver Wire - Purchased, awaiting Delivery
  • Case: 3D printed  - Designed
  • Kester 44 Rosin Core solder will be used
Notes: The Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo USB to I2C Module will be USB bus-powered initially

::phase 2::
Building on Phase 1, now adding components for dual mono design, with separated and independent power supplies.

Components:
Notes: The Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo USB to I2C Module will be now be non-USB bus-powered

Latest posts