Big Surprize From Schoolfee Money....

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akomeogi

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
For awhile I have been wanting to try my hand at a turntable project, to see if I could achieve a half-decent result. This was an entry-level, plinthless (Blaupunkt), rusted top-plate (and attached components) found in a local charity shop for the princely sum of R70.00! Stripped, cleaned, serviced and finished in satin black.

A forum-buddy helped by cutting out the inner frame with a jigsaw and then I built the plinth, finished in white oak and satin polyurethane. Here is the result:

023.jpg

Auto return and reject functions and componentry purposefully removed and only essential functions kept. Had to create a matching white oak veneer armboard-inlay to cover now-missing reject button an damaged aluminium armboard-inlay.

026.jpg

Surprizingly nice arm (think it might be an old Jelco design) and headshell, with an Excel ES-70S cartridge and stylus fitted.

021.jpg

Front face is a solid white oak plank so that side corners could be routed with a small rounding without breaking through to MDF. The rest is 20mm MDF veneered in two-ply white oak.

020.jpg

Top-edge veneered out of one jointless piece of two-ply veneer for a seamless look...

018.jpg

RCA connectors and kettle-plug socket (with built-in switch) fitted at the rear, 9V DC switching power supply built into the plinth.

008.jpg

Frontal view, together with three vintage automatic Seiko from the same era (70's). I am still unable to establish the table's origins with any certainty, but the closest match I've yet seen is a Sanyo and a CEC BD-1000....

What I was totally unprepared for was what it sounds like... for what I considered to be school money, this little table is surprisingly, unexpectedly, startlingly good, given its humble origins... I just sat there and listened to it for about four hours and could hardly believe my ears...

Regards