AVR upgraditis - help?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with the Denon AVR3805 I got from Andre last year and the Denon SACD/DVD player I recently got from Dieter, but now I am getting this upgrade bug.  :roll:

If I was to upgrade my AVR system from the Denon components (which are currently driving an all Mission 5.1/7.1 setup, with a Paradigm PDR-10 sub), what should I be looking at brand wise that would give me great sound but perhaps in a bit more simplified manner? I've given up trying to understand Dolby Digital vs DTS vs etc, etc... All I want to do is be able to put on a disk, choose my soundtrack and turn up the volume and have decent sound when I am watching live concerts (which is the only time I use the AVR for television sound - the rest of the time it runs on stereo mode for streamed music from the Apple TV). I don't really want to have to consult the user manual every time I change the source.

Suggestions?

Oh yes, price wise I'm what they commonly refer to as a cheap bastard, so I'll only be on the prowl for 2nd or 3rd hand goods. ;)

Latest posts