55" TV's - worth spending more?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
OK, so we're not exactly power TV users - I had a fairly bleeding edge 74cm Nicam Stereo in the mid 90's but since then low usage and other priorities resulted in still using a 40" Sony from 12-15 years ago. My wife now OK'd a larger (but not obscenely large) TV so I'm looking at 55" options - seems the market has moved to 65" and beyond so there is super value in this size range. We don't use smart capabilities as we have a reasonably powerful media PC in the lounge, but I expect this may change with a more modern TV. Our media streaming is from IPTV via Bluestacks Android emulator, and local content on the media PC and a microserver in the study. Soundwise, I have a proper 2 channel hi fi system, but a 200W Class A amp is not something you want to leave idling all day, so I'm looking at a used soundbar / subwoofer combination.

I've been looking at options in the R6-8k range, and narrowed it down to either the LG 55UR73006LA or Samsung 55AU7000 (or CU), both which seems to have way better picture quality and way more features than our trusty 40" Sony. So my questions are:

- Is this the optimal value range?
- What would I get more if I paid more?
- What else is worth considering?

Any advice and or recent experiences would will be appreciated.