rodneys IDA 8 review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney_gold

R.I.P. 5 June 2018
Reaction score
Ok, got my unit today , unpacked it , checked voltage , but havent plugged it in , as I am at work.
Also suprised as to its  weight . It feels like a solid block of metal... probably the torroidal , 2 remotes , a credit card one and a wand type one

My review will not be detailed as to how the individual parts of the unit act - like I will not be testing its AD/DAC section in isolation  , bluetooth, usb etc..
It will go heads up with my 250 w Devialet D premier.. a slightly older model to their latest offerings .. the D prem cost me R85k used...

My path is SB touch into a miniDSP DDRC22 DIrac based room correction unit .. all in digital domain , to the IDA spdif in and then straight to the G1's .. sub output will via the sub  outs , but using a rotel pre to attenuate the stupidly hot 6v output.

Initially , I will compare the ida 8  to the dprem without the subs .. simple switchover,  all I do is take the spdif cable out the Devialet , stick it in the IDA 8 and then just connect up the speakers....

The G1's are about 92 db efficient , so the 100w should drive em..however..I listen LOUD and I really likemusic with plenty bass.. so it will be a balls to the wall torture test....
Watch this space.....

Latest posts