Wyred4Sound DAC-2 Linux compatibility

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any drivers for USB DACs yet?  Thinking particularly of the Wyred4Sound DAC2

Rotten Johnny

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
No idea what USB interface the W4S uses, but let's discuss that in another thread.  Most USB chips are recognised out of the box by the Linux kernel, so unless there's something unique about its USB chipset I imagine it'd work out of the box.  From W4S' website: " we have extended its USB support to include, driverless (Mac / Linux)..." so I'm guessing it just works.  Linux doesn't tend to come with drivers - either the kernel recognises a device or it doesn't, and if it's mainstream support is added to subsequent kernel releases.

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
The DAC2 does not work with Linux as its USB interface isn't UAC2 compliant. At All. The DAC2 SE works on Linux as it uses the same OEM USB interface that I've used.

Roux28

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Apologies for the slight hijack - any ideas if the the Musical Fidelity M1DAC will work under Linux?

Thanks...

kamikazi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the USB chipset used, but most of them should support Linux without any drivers. I believe W4S used a proprietary USB interface in the original DAC2 should there could be limitations. The newer SE version I believe has switched over to XMOS?

Waterhond

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
The W4S Dac 2 can be upgraded - either just the USB interface or to full SE spec. Not sure if the local agents can do it yet though.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have exchanged a few emails with Clint Hartman at Wyred4Sound.  He skirted the question about Linux compatability, but said that only hardware upgrades were available - at $1200 a pop.  I did ask him again about a USB upgrade and am still awaiting a reply

kamikazi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
chrisc said:
Have exchanged a few emails with Clint Hartman at Wyred4Sound.  He skirted the question about Linux compatability, but said that only hardware upgrades were available - at $1200 a pop.  I did ask him again about a USB upgrade and am still awaiting a reply

Ouch, I'd rather sell it then and get another. What is shipping going to cost?

Waterhond

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's the USB upgrade page for the W4S Dac2 - at $495-00
They call it the DSD upgrade - but it is the USB module basically.

USB_board_1.jpg

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/908550

kamikazi said:
Ouch, I'd rather sell it then and get another. What is shipping going to cost?

My feelings exactly! And shipping would not only be astronomical on top of the upgrade price but hugely risky.
I wonder why the local agents don't offer the upgrade here at more sane prices?

Waterhond

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
GearSlave said:
^^^ The SE uses an Amanero.

Wonder if  "someone" locally can configure one of these to feed the W4S dac2's  I2S input? :whistler:

That would provide DSD playback and Linux compatibility while retaining and extending the Asynchronous PCM playback up to 32bit - 384khz.

kamikazi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
WaterHond said:
Wonder if  "someone" locally can configure one of these to feed the W4S dac2's  I2S input? :whistler:

That would provide DSD playback and Linux compatibility while retaining and extending the Asynchronous PCM playback up to 32bit - 384khz.

Isn't that the Amanero USB module that they use anyway? Where's Gert?? :whistler:

The Empirical Audio OR5 converter will probably cost you less than sending it in for an upgrade, but then even that is positively hideously expensive @ $1299, but does through some nice options into the mix..

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/off-ramp-converter

OffRamp5_Back.jpg

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yebo, it's the Amanero design and firmware - they just put it on their own PCB and added the I2S Isolator and use their own PID's. You can see the familiarity between the two layouts  ;) I used the standard Amanero board and put the I2S isolator on my DAC board. You should be able to use an Amanero there no problem, you just won't have I2S isolation (going without I2S isolation can cause issues in some cases).

Waterhond

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So correct me if I'm wrong, but one would take one of those Amanero modules and feed it into the I2S input on the back of the W4S Dac2 using the right configuration, and that would work without anything else except maybe a little box for it (plus the Amanero drivers if using Windows)? Or is it a bit more complicated?

USB powers it if I understand rightly..?

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yessir, correct on all accounts. You'll have to use the Amanero windows driver though, not the W4S ones.

Waterhond

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
GearSlave said:
Yessir, correct on all accounts. You'll have to use the Amanero windows driver though, not the W4S ones.

So if I can find out the pin-in of the Dac2's I2s input and match it with the pin-out of the Amanero... I'll be good to go? Sounds like a $400 dollar saving to me compared to having W4S do pretty much the same thing internally... hmmm..  :thinking:

Anyone else in for a group buy from Amanero?

(Got any spare modules left over Gert?) :whistler:

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can get you Amanero's by the dozen. For cheaper than you'd normally pay. It's just pointless getting 1 tho. And if I had the W4S in front of me I'd be able to figure out the I2S pins - hopefully you can make it work with the internal I2S header as opposed to using the HDMI type connector, because the Amanero is just the PCB and thus not enclosed.