What kind of Audiophile are you?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

R.I.P. 23 June 2023
Reaction score
First of all I have to say, that to identify myself as an Audiophile or any other handle, has nothing to do with who I am.  I am and we all are much more than any handle or profession we wish to call ourselves
So if I happen to stand on some "Audiophiles" toes, get over it that's your problem not mine.

1. Are you the type that, only insists on listening to what are passed off as high rez recordings. Example I demoed some speakers I was selling, and the chap took umbrage at me playing Lionel Ritchie.
  Or are you quite happy to listen to music on a transistor radio and still enjoy it. Or still enjoy some 78 rpm jazz recording from the 20's, or the hiss of a tape, or the Rice Krispies sound effects from your beat up copy of Dusty In Memphis just to hear that wonderful voice.

2. Are you the type that thinks that if you spend more it has to be better.
  Or the type who is always looking for the best bang per buck within budget.

3. Are you the type that believes that cables and fancy expensive plugs and connectors and silver solder is going to elevate your system to the next level.
  Or are you the type that believes cables are just way over priced tone controls. And the connections, plugs etcetera are just way overpriced audio jewellery.
A certain self confessed audiophile bought some second hand speaker cable for 10K, then took offence when they were terminated with Nakamichi bananas and not what the cable 'deserves', in his opinion Rhodium plated spade connecters costing a grand each.

4. Are you the type that believe the more power you give your pig to drive speakers it is going to solve your problems.
  Or are you the type that sees no sense in low efficiency speakers, when there are speakers out there that are efficient enough to make your puny 20w valve amp sound like 200w.

5. Are you the type that worships at the altar of SET valve amps or Class A solid state.
  Or are you the type that finds them to compromised, and think class AB is better.

6. Are you the type that finds the appearance of speakers especially important.
  Or are you the type that does not care as long as you like how they sound.

7. Are you the type that is willing to pay for incremental differences in sound, and is always fiddling and fettling.
  Or are you the type that believes different is not better, and are only willing to spend on something that makes your system improve in a significant manner, and is quite happy till he hears that improvement.

8. Are you the type that is always listening for micro details, finding your self involved in analysing the system.
  Or are you the type, that if it gets your foot tapping all that analysing is irrelevant, and you just enjoy the music.

9. Are you the type to judge a certain brand of equipment or type of speaker technology on the opinions of others, and perhaps having a not too pleasant experience with one of the types and products.
  Or are you open minded, and willing to change your views from personal experience. Not all products from the same brand are cut from the same cloth.

10. Are you a believer that a product from a recognised maker will be superior where it counts in sound, to some well thought out and well made DIY effort that performs as well, and in most cases better, that costs a fraction of the price. Not talking appearance here. And are not willing to go DIY for whatever reason.
  Or are you the type that puts performance and value first, and brand, or DIY is irrelevant.

11. Are you the type that believes this hobby is a objective experience.
  Or are you the type that believes it is an subjective one.

12. are you the type that is looking for "accuracy" first in your system
  Or are you the type that is looking for emotional involvement first.

13. Are you the type to ask the straight out question what is better this or that, or to express an opinion when asked.
  Or are you the type that does not ask or answer those sorts of questions due to the fact, that synergy is elusive, and the room and placement of the speakers is the unknown factor.

14. Are you the type that firmly believes that Red Book CD is an inferior medium, and you must go "Hi Rez".
  Or are you the type, that is quite happy with it. And you find the whole Hi Rez thing a bit of a con, when in your opinion the quality of the recording matters far more than the so called resolution.  Vinyl is certainly not high rez is it, then why does it sound so good.  :nfi:

In closing we all have different tastes, if it is better for you that is all that counts, it is your money your ears your music, if you like it, what does it matter to anybody else.. And that is the end of it. Hell I have heard so many systems that all do it differently, some to my liking some not.
All our likes and dislikes are personal opinions only.

I have had blokes come down on me for having an opinion, for example I was told in no uncertain terms not to voice my opinion on Mark Levinson, because he took it as a personal insult. This was nearly a friendship ending attack

Now please feel free to insult me because I like the sound of Klipsch speakers, especially the heritage line.  Although I realy do enjoy my entry level R-14M bookshelves in my bedroom over anything else I have tried so far.
How can I possibly be an Audiophile if I like Klipsch, that smacks of "Heresy." 

And I do find the oft used "Blown Out The Water comments people make on forums utter tripe, for want of a better word.

:whistler:

Latest posts