Weber-Smoked Pork shoulder - slow cook

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingbat

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Made this again over the weekend and decided to share it for those that have a little patience.  :point:

Ingredients:
Pork Shoulder

Rub:
3/4 cup Treacle sugar. (Not Brown sugar, not molasses, not caramel sugar - Treacle sugar)
1 Tbsp white sugar
1/4 cup Garlic flakes
2 Tbsp White pepper
2 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tsp Cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Dried Sweet Basil
1Tsp Dried Thyme
1Tbsp Fine salt

Combine in a bowl and mix well.

I bought a 1.4 kg shoulder and just trimmed off the rind - I left all the fat on, do not trim the fat, its what makes the meat juicy.

Coat the shoulder in the rub making sure you get it in all the nooks and crannies. Place in a container, cover and chuck it in the fridge for a few hours.

23ku4ht.png

Set up your kettle braai for an offset/indirect cook (Youtube is full of how-to's)

I used a 1/3 Cherry, 2/3 apple mix for the smoke. The entire 4 hour cook only used 1/3 bag of Charka brikettes. I don't use firelighters when doing a smoke, I have a gas blow torch that gets the coals going quickstix.

When you take the shoulder out of the fridge you will notice that the rub has turned sticky and gooey, that's the treacle sugar working its magic, that rub will turn into a crispy sticky coating when the cook is complete.

Whack it on the grid, add your wood chips and cover. Cooking time is around 1.5 hours per 500g meat @ 110deg. Controlling the temperature is easy-peazy. General rule of thumb is to keep the bottom vents all the way open and regulate the temperature using the vent/s on the top. I had 1 top vent completely shut and the other open about 1/3. If your weber/kettle has a thermometer, all that much easier. If the temp is going too high, even with the top vents closed then, shut off the lower vents by 1/3.

After 1.5 hours I added another 6 brikettes and some more wood chips.

vcuse1.png

Don't let the dark colour fool you, its not burning, that's the rub gettin smoked  :thumbs:

3 hours in did another check, coals still good so time to wrap in foil and tame the temp right down.

dn2892.png

Temp can drop to 50 - 90 now and let it rest( I closed all vents), in the kettle for an hour, you won't need to let it rest when you take it off.

During the smoke, try not to be too tempted to take the lid off and have a peep, the temp drops and your cook rime goes up by 15 - 20 minutes each time.

After 4.5 hours, I could not pick it up out of the foil, it fell to pieces - Just the way it should and the apple chips gave it a beautiful smokey flavour

2q1i1vt.png

Went down well with some ice cold beers  :thumbs: :dop:

If anyone wants I can go through how I set up the kettle for smoking, as I said there are laods of how-to's on youtube but I have experimented with a few methods and think I have it down to the simplest.

Latest posts