Warped record

desj

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply. The record is Mama Kershaw's Boy/Doug Kershaw. Not brilliant but given to me by a mate who is no longer with us. It's not a train smash if I don't get it right and in all honesty it's become a bit of an experiment/challenge. At this stage it's packed as suggested and I'll check again in a few months. If that doesn't work the next step will be to call the son-in-law and try his more aggressive glass and heat (oven or sun) method which in my opinion is closely aligned to a fix or destroy methodology. I suspect that the end result may be a blob of black vinyl.     

SILV3RFOX

Reaction score
Place the record between the two heavy sheets of glass. Leave it in the sun for a few hours then let it cool down to room temperature before removing the record from between the glass.
Caution:
Make sure that everything is dry if not you could be in for a surprise when removing the record from between the two sheets of glass.
For additional weight one could add a brick(s). Make sure it is not over the record play.
Seen this from a collector that has been doing it for years.
Hope I'm making sense.
P.S. try on a cheap record then on the one you want to straighten. ;)

fdlsys

Vinylist, DIYer
Reaction score
Place the record between the two heavy sheets of glass. Leave it in the sun for a few hours then let it cool down to room temperature before removing the record from between the glass.
Caution:
Make sure that everything is dry if not you could be in for a surprise when removing the record from between the two sheets of glass.
For additional weight one could add a brick(s). Make sure it is not over the record play.
Hope I'm making sense.
Silverfox, you are passing some terrible advices.
Records can ONLY be un-warped by controlled temperature + time proportional to the thickness of vinyl, and a very SMALL amount of pressure that should NOT be concentrated on the label because that will for sure cause the record to be permanently destroyed.
Tiny amount of pressure on the label area just to provide the reference point.
As little pressure as possible ideally by a soft silicone sheet or preferably none whatsoever on the grooves.
Minimal amount of pressure that is required to flatten the record should be on the rim.
Flattening of the records is a science and not at all easily practiced.

SILV3RFOX

Reaction score
fdlsys, I hear you and would not recommend that it be done on a collectable or similar.

only offering what I've seen someone do with some success.

not advocating that someone do it on something expensive. ;)

fdlsys

Vinylist, DIYer
Reaction score
fdlsys, I hear you and would not recommend that it be done on a collectable or similar.
But why would you even bother with anything that is neither collectable nor expensive? :giggle:

For those that do want to un-warp their collectable and expensive records, Mr Vinyl (Brett) and Vinyl Junkie (Benjy) have the pro machines (same or similar as FranZAR) which do the job right, safely. No idea what the treatment costs and of course I have no affiliations with either.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Caution:
Hope I'm making sense.
This is very bad advice…

I have tried this method with glass in both the oven & in the sun. The sun will further melt the record & the oven you have to use a heat so low that after 8 hours a day in the oven for over a week I was no closer to an unwarped record than before I started

JonnyP

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Silverfox is either completely immersed in YouTube fixes that don’t work made by trolls, or is potentially trolling. Either way, don’t do stupid things to records is a pretty good mantra.

desj

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Finally some feedback. I did pack the record as suggested last year and left it until a week ago. Well sadly it did not work. The record is still sporting the same warp and has now been retired. More trouble than it is worth. The learning’s that I take from this: 1) If and expensive and desired record is warped, take it to Mr. Vinyl to be straightened. If the warp is too severe and they cannot straighten it, retire the record. 2) DO NOT lend your records to anybody else (especially your son).

stereoholic

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
This is very bad advice…

I have tried this method with glass in both the oven & in the sun. The sun will further melt the record & the oven you have to use a heat so low that after 8 hours a day in the oven for over a week I was no closer to an unwarped record than before I started
I've also tried it without success.

MalcolmS

Reaction score
Hi All

Thought I'd share my journey thus far. Spoiler alert, NO SUCCESS yet !

I purchased the THE VINYL FLAT RECORD FLATTENER | Vinyl Flat + the Groovy pouch and also had to buy a 110 to 22V transformer as well. I was super enthusiastic to straighten those warped LP's that were driving me batty. After carefully following the instructions and using various techniques and heating/cooling durations, there was absolutely NO IMPROVEMENT in the warped vinyl. The pouch gets quite warm but the heat is not evenly distributed so it is really ineffective.

I then resorted to the 'oven baking technique' and to my horror, the LP completely melted and I landed up with a very funky looking modern art piece. The good news is that there was longer any warping, but it's completely unplayable. So I guess that I have to go a bit lower than the 75C and 30mins so that it heats enough to remove the warping but not completely turn it into a choc chip cookie.

Cheers
M

FranZAR

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use the groovy pouch?
No, the Orb as in the link I posted...

1657018491180.png