Vinyl Heresy

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1995

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I currently use an iFi Neo iDSD, which is Bluetooth capable, as a DAC/preamp however, it has no provision for analogue inputs. I've been trying to figure out how to add my turntable to the DAC and considered an ADC or phono pre with a digital output. I really did not want to add another preamp into the mix for multiple reasons. I have no experience with ADCs and all the ones I saw looked pretty much the same. The phono preamps with digital out mostly required a computer to be hooked up to the units as they were mainly designed for ripping vinyl.

In an effort to declutter my audio equipment collection I came across an Avantree Oasis BT receiver/transmitter which is APTx capable and a Firestone Audio Korora-MM/MC phono pre which can run off 2 9V batteries as well as AC. The Avantree BT unit accepts optical and aux inputs when acting as a transmitter. I decided to try connecting the Korora outputs, using the necessary cable adapter, to the aux in on the Avantree and transmit to the Neo IDSD. I really didn't expect good results at all but much to my surprise, the sound exceeded all expectations. It sounds pretty darn good actually and really brought a smile to my face. It may be that I am so chuffed with the results because my expectations were so low at the outset.

Everything is not all roses though. There is significant hum and hiss which may be because the Korora minimum gain is 51 dB which is high for the MM cartridge I am using although with music playing, this ceases to be an issue. I would still like to get rid of both problems if possible. The high gain also means that there seems to be overload when the volume is turned up.

It might appal many vinyl purists but it was a fun little experiment and gives me the opportunity to listen to vinyl in a digital system. It also allows me to repurpose equipment that were not being used and get rid of equipment that were replaced by other pieces in the chain. Another probably useful feature is that I can move the turntable away from other equipment which may cause interference.