Trompies (chicken this time) Trinchado

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So for those of you who reside in Jozi there is my special pub - the Baron.

Originally started as the Baron & Quail in Woodmead (2 mates - Barry & Quinton, both retrenched, used the last money they had to start it), branched out with franchise outlets & some company owned stores. Also started the Rhapsody's brand. A mate bought into the group after they started. Then there was a disagreement & Quinton kept Rhapsody's & went on his own. Barry & my mate kept the Baron. As time passed they removed the franchisees & only had company owned stores. Recently launched the 011 brand as well. Time has been kind as they've very successfully remade themselves from rowdy pub to upmarket eatery.

However, certain menu items have remained constant, and their Chicken Trinchado has been my wife's absolute staple meal whenever we go to the Baron over the last 20 years. It's served as a starter or main portion.

Despite many requests they've never shared the recipe.... and I've never really stressed over deconstructing it as there was always a Baron in close proximity to where we lived (strange huh?  :BWAHAHAH: )

Then lockdown happened. So i decided, to ease the constant yadda yadda in my ear, to recreate it. It is not their original recipe (I still don't have that, but my mate has allegedly promised it to me in his will) but it is damn close.

Let me know what you think if you give it a try.

What you need:
4 to 6 skinned chicken breasts cut into more or less 1cm3 pieces.
100ml to 250ml of your favourite prego sauce, with heat to your own taste. I use the one from Goodhealth Grocer in Fourways. PM me for their details, they deliver!
2 medium red onions, sliced & diced.
1 red & 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds out & sliced into 5mm thick slices.
1 heaped teaspoon crushed garlic.
500ml cream.
Olive oil.
Butter.
Flour

What you do:
Heat a large skillet to medium heat.
Add olive oil & butter.
Brown the cubed chicken - season with salt & pepper to taste.
Remove chicken from skillet & place on a WARMED plate.
Add more butter & olive oil to skillet.
Add bell peppers & onion.
Fry until onion is translucent.
Reduce heat to low.
Add garlic, cook for approx 2 minutes.
Add a tablespoon of flour plus salt & pepper. Stir/whisk for 5 minutes.
Add cream & prego sauce. Stir/whisk until you have a medium to runny mixture. (Add milk if needed). You want a stew type of sauce, not a gravy (hope that makes sense).
Add the chicken & any juices on the plate. Mix in with the sauce.
Place skillet in preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven & serve with chips and/or warm Ciabatta with butter.

The key to this is the prego sauce. You want a sauce that is mild enough to be able to add 250ml (or more) to the dish without it taking your (or your family's) head off when you eat!