Tonearm thoughts

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
So yet another looking for ideas/advice/opinions thread regarding stuff needed for a turntable.

Looking for a 12" inch arm for one of the Sony TTS-3000, actually want a Stax UA70 as the one I have resides on the Micro DDX-1000 TT and will stay there, could actually do with just the armtube as I have two extra complete UA70 arms, but without the arm tube, seems to be impossible to find with someone willing to ship to Sweden thou so alternative routes is considered.

Interesting is the Alfred Bokrand Ortofon AS 309 replica (banana version) but I don?t know i he is stiill in business, can?t seem to find a web site, anyone have any experience with this genttlemans arms?

The Schick 12" arm? Looks good but the web site stinks, mostly of realy bad taste and bad photo, perhaps good arms thou?

Then there is the Pro-ject Signature 12" tonearm, looks very good, a bit like a high precision, heavier version of a Moerch UP arm, but does Pro-Ject really produce top class/quality products? I don?t know but the TT:s I have seen (cheap) are nothing I would recomend to anyone.

Anyone with any other good suggestions (not SME, will never be used here)?

(I could go for a SAEC W 308 even if it is a tiny bit shorter, hard to find thou)

Ingvar

DeonC

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the left field, how about this one:

Hand Built wooden 12" tonearm-banana (EMT 997 replica)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This unit is sold, but Juri makes them continuously, so there will soon be another one available. The first pic was of the actual tonearm that was being sold, the second one to show what they look like. He keeps on improving the design. And it is cheap enough not to break the bank. I know I'd make one mod myself, but overall it seems like a great unit for the price.

He make another one where you can choose the length:

Hand Built bamboo 9''- 18" tonearm

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Thank You Deon! Very nice looking, the banana version but with standard Ortofon/SME shell bayonet wold be my wish as I use so many cartridges and like the convenience of swapping them on the arm with standard shell.

The next last picture is very interesting with the bamboo arm, probably 12", on the Swedish Unamco turntable, a very fine TT, are the samples of those in SA?

Ingvar

DeonC

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ingvar Ahlberg said:
The next last picture is very interesting with the bamboo arm, probably 12", on the Swedish Unamco turntable, a very fine TT, are the samples of those in SA?

Ingvar

Hi Ingvar

I wish they were in SA. I read about them over on the Lenco Heaven forum, and what I read made me curious.

With the second arm shown above, the Bamboo arm, the length is your choice. You buy them and decide how long you want it to be, from 9" to a giant 18". :faint: When the arm is 15" or longer, it is reinforced with a carbon tube to increase rigidity (according to the eBay post).

Deon

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Well Deon,
from 9" to a giant 18"
as far as I see a real tonearm is at least as long as the 21" diameter of Your LF drivers?

The Unamco turntable is very, very good, and easily obtained here as it was produced in Sweden and even thou not in very large numbers very few were thrown away/scrapped, I can find a good one and send to You, shipping to SA with UPS seems very safe but rather slow.

There should be an Unamco T-1 in SA with solid Sweden-SA bonds, shouldn?t there?

Ingvar

DeonC

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ingvar Ahlberg said:
Well Deon, as far as I see a real tonearm is at least as long as the 21" diameter of Your LF drivers?

Unfortunately my LF drivers are only 12". Does that say something about me? :thinking: :point:

Ingvar Ahlberg said:
The Unamco turntable is very, very good, and easily obtained here as it was produced in Sweden and even thou not in very large numbers very few were thrown away/scrapped, I can find a good one and send to You, shipping to SA with UPS seems very safe but rather slow.

There should be an Unamco T-1 in SA with solid Sweden-SA bonds, shouldn?t there?

I looked it up and that is a beauty! I would be awesome. Problem is, with me working for the government, funds are VERY limited. Man, oh, man. How to do this without having to starve because I spent my food budget on a TT? :thinking: (I'd have great music, though!).

Seriously though, I currently have a Lenco in a custom plinth (bought from Guillaume of Croak Audio), with an SME 3009 mk.II Improved (fixed headshell) that I bought on the forum, and if all goes well, Mike (fldsys) might have a good Stanton cartridge for me. Would I want the Unamco T-1? Damn straight! But getting it here is where I fall flat. Those arms I showed you are a future dream (I gotta save up a bit before I get there), so right now I have to try and make the Lenco + SME sing.

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
A Lenco is always a magic turntable and if supplied by Croak Audio I suspect it is working the way it should.

An Unamco T-1 could still find it?s way down south in due time, if it had a delivery adddress, that could be sent on a PM.

Ingvar

fredeb

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've often looked at those Yuri tonearms and wondered whether I should get one , he's been doing it quite a while now and is obviously getting better . The carbon rod insert , for example .

When I first read your thread yesterday , I thought I should suggest you make your own 12" arm , from an old 9" you may have lying around . I was actually thinking a carbon fibre rod tonearm . I once repaired a cracked Thorens TP-16 Mk II , replaced the cracked rod with one of similar diameter . It was easier than I thought it would be . The difficult bit in that case , was reaming my new carbon fibre rod to the same wall thickness as the original tube , so-as to retain similar effective mass . I could have easily made the tube longer , had I wanted to .

I'm sure you could put together a decent tonearm Ingvar . :)

blog+tp16mkii2.jpg

fredeb

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A 12" arm I have always been interested in is the Audio Technica AT-1503 III . There are a few available on Ebay now , if that interested you ?

s-l1600.jpg

fdlsys

Vinylist, DIYer
Reaction score
fredeb said:
A 12" arm I have always been interested in is the Audio Technica AT-1503 III . There are a few available on Ebay now , if that interested you ?

s-l1600.jpg
10"

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
There are a few Fidelity Research FR66 for sale on the net, but I doubt that they are worth the around 80.000 SEK, ~137.000 ZAR,
that they are on sale for, or?

Ingvar

JonnyP

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
The bamboo one looks interesting, my tonearm (on Diana the Garrard 301) is a [member=2310]fdlsys[/member]  special (carbon fibre straight arm SME based everything else 12?, not sure what golf club make was sacrificed).  It does exactly what one would hope and the entire set up (I?ve swapped out carts many times for fun, settled currently on the Ortofon Bronze) sounds great.

fdlsys

Vinylist, DIYer
Reaction score
JonnyP said:
The bamboo one looks interesting, my tonearm (on Diana the Garrard 301) is a [member=2310]fdlsys[/member]  special (carbon fibre straight arm SME based everything else 12?, not sure what golf club make was sacrificed).  It does exactly what one would hope and the entire set up (I?ve swapped out carts many times for fun, settled currently on the Ortofon Bronze) sounds great.

Self damped thick wall cross layered tapered profile fishing rod, mind you! :teach: :giggle:

Glad that it's still serving well, as hoped and expected. Exactly 300mm effective length arm with lower moving mass than a standard 3009s2.

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Fredeb, I cant recall that You pointed me in the direction of this arm, looks interesting, on the same line as the Alfred Bokrand arms,
no experience with this one thou.

Not building any arms presently, been ther, done that, the first, that was quite good, in balsa wood, looked a bit like a tiny piece of the Eifel tower, the cat ate/chewed that to pieces in a couple of days, no cats here now but arm building will have to wait right now.

Ingvar

fredeb

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ingvar Ahlberg said:
Hi Fredeb, I cant recall that You pointed me in the direction of this arm, looks interesting, on the same line as the Alfred Bokrand arms,
no experience with this one thou.

Not building any arms presently, been ther, done that, the first, that was quite good, in balsa wood, looked a bit like a tiny piece of the Eifel tower, the cat ate/chewed that to pieces in a couple of days, no cats here now but arm building will have to wait right now.

Ingvar

Must have been someone else I told about the arm . I quite like the vibe of this site , what 1st alerted me to it's existence was writer Dick van der Merwes' MonoBill 2 - Williamson type KT88 PP amplifiers .

The balsa tonearm seems interesting , do you perhaps have any images of it ?

What about Ortofon arms ?

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
The balsa tonearm seems interesting , do you perhaps have any images of it ?

There probably are, but as this was the late 70:s those are somewhere among the thousands of negatives, no time the coming Years to look for that.

Ortofon arms? Yes the original 309 12" banana arm that passed though my hands and ended up with a friend, he will, if plans come through he will put it on a TD 124. won?t let me get it back, no monetary offers nor any threaths of violence seems to work.

Ingvar

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
This had kindled down, almost gone, just a tiny pyre, almost forgotten, then [member=14383]achim[/member] pours gasoline on the simmering coals!

This Sorane range needs to be checked out, especially the TA 1 L 12" model.

Ingvar

achim

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
.....Sorane grew on me as well....  and this because other very reputable friends telling me for a longer while now how excellent their arms are. It how it works....there will be always one or some who pours gasoline into the fire...

I choose a Sorane ZA 12 " for my Brinkmann Balance - to me this tonearm looks like pure ZEN ;)  and maybe there will be ZEN in it..

Oh Ingvar ...please as a must "try out"....the LTD Tonearms will break you apart. Once you will experience the magic of something which shouldnt work - this might become eventually your most beloved arm - plus they are unexpensive compared to so many other tonearm brands. Best you look out for a second hand WTL Amadeus GTA MKII..it comes with the LTD arm...

Include LTD for a stunning experience - please. SME never been my "thing" too - I found them boring and the worst was the SME V I had in the 90ies. Breuer & Brinkmann standing for pace, dynamic, transparency, fine, tough and rough dynamics (the Brinkmann Arms are more or less what Breuer did and maybe even slighty better - and both worked very close together). A Schr?der Arm is on my wishlist too but all these "bling bling" juweler pieces for many thousand Euros or Dollars...no thank you.