To measure or not to measure? That is the question.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjuka

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Are measurements the answer to audiophile end-game, or is it just snake-oil?

Measurements have become quite a thing in audio communities these days. I personally am still a little dumbfounded by all the science, and prefer to measure audio equipment based on pure musical enjoyment - especially where my ears are concerned. I am not discounting the measurement industry - I believe it has it's place, even though I am still learning about it.

Audio Science Review (ASR), started by Amir Majidimehr, has got a quite a cult following especially in the realms of measuring audio equipment. Many audio aficionados swear by ASR.

But it seems to be polarising some aspects of the audio communities - especially on some forums.

For example: Someone posts a question on a forum about his/her interest in a certain headphone amplifier. Then another responds that they shouldn't buy it for it doesn't measure well on ASR, even though this responder has probably never heard the amplifier with his or her own ears. And so it goes...

Measurements have also entered the marketing sphere, and many manufacturers are feeling the bite because their products may not measure well. So, some manufacturers and reviewers are hitting back.

PS Audio fired a salvo. And now a review by purr1n in Super Best Audio Friends outlines his take on ASR:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/audio-science-review-review.9827/

I am curious, what is your take on measurements?
Are you pro?
Are you against?
Are you undecided?
Or does it not matter to you?

Latest posts