Things that Dutchmen get up to...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steerpike

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Following some brief negotiations with Seasick Steve, this Philips which has been on my wanted list for a while, has arrived! I put it next to the Revox B77 to compare sizes. It's a very nice machine, heavier than - but not as sturdy or sold as the Revox. The two went into production at much the same time - 1979. Thank you Steve. The Revox B77 is reputed to be the best selling tape recorders ever, this Philips, one of the rarest, though not as rare as its half-track variant.

It will need some work - at present it won't power up at all, but I suspect a flakey mains switch. Pinch roller & heads in fine condition.

Curiously for all its fancy electronics (real time counter with Zero locate, quartz PLL capstan, servo controlled reel tension) the Philips has mechanical interlocking transport pushbuttons, with no logic circuitry involved at all. Remote control was therefore never an option.

The Revox has an entirely die-cast chassis & headblock, the Philips is sheet steel, albeit thick steel (6mm or so!)