The Centre Image

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I suppose I am just plain weird. I am obsessed with the (phantom) centre image in stereo recordings. I'll fuss for hours to get it right, I do not attend HiFi Shows because my name is not Jonathan Valin or Ken Kessler,so I am unlikely to be given centre seat at demonstrations and without that I cannot listen. I simply have to have that performer ground there in virtual space,right in the centre Mr Venter. Don't come with not all recordings have that- 99% do. I may have the only Valve Audio product with dual mono pots. However that does not really work cos twiddling the knobs will just skew everything further.

So , bearing that in mind I had an awful weekend. No, the weather was great, the kuier lekker, the wine good but back in my space the centre image was ever so skewed. I tried everything, still off left a smidgen, then decided my right ear must be somewhat blocked , inside or out. I swore at the beautiful trees and flowers in full bloom and stomped off to bed.

I am so happy to see I am not the only one with that affliction:

In the midst of the interview (listen online here), Gross asked Nash to talk about his friendship with Neil Young, a man Nash has called ?the strangest of my friends.? Just what makes him strange? Nash explains:

The man is totally committed to the muse of music. And he?ll do anything for good music. And sometimes it?s very strange. I was at Neil?s ranch one day just south of San Francisco, and he has a beautiful lake with red-wing blackbirds. And he asked me if I wanted to hear his new album, ?Harvest.? And I said sure, let?s go into the studio and listen.

Oh, no. That?s not what Neil had in mind. He said get into the rowboat.

I said get into the rowboat? He said, yeah, we?re going to go out into the middle of the lake. Now, I think he?s got a little cassette player with him or a little, you know, early digital format player. So I?m thinking I?m going to wear headphones and listen in the relative peace in the middle of Neil?s lake.

Oh, no. He has his entire house as the left speaker and his entire barn as the right speaker. And I heard ?Harvest? coming out of these two incredibly large loud speakers louder than hell. It was unbelievable. Elliot Mazer, who produced Neil, produced ?Harvest,? came down to the shore of the lake and he shouted out to Neil: How was that, Neil?

And I swear to god, Neil Young shouted back: More barn !