Thanks goodness for small breaks...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sheesh after a horrid 'turntable weekend' that started well with an amazing score on a Rega Planar 2 (wood sides) off gumtree... When I picked up the table I did not care about the state of the arm (a Rega R200) as the table was so cheap I could put something else on there and still flip the table on the forum and have enough change for that Porsche deposit and a holiday in the Bahamas...

From the moment I got home it went downhill. I took the Rega R200 off and opened it up and what do you know, the anti-skate belt is in pieces... No problem - I expected that and had made contingency plans to fit a Jelco SA50 tonearm that has the same pivot-to-spindle distance (at this stage I am still picturing myself flipping the table for a small fortune and retiring to Pi?a Coladas served by bare breasted nymphs on a hidden Tahiti beach). I fit the Jelco arm in record time and do a sterling job dressing the cables and making up an interconnect. Take it over to the 'test centre' and there is hummmmm  :thinking:

Not to bore you but I rewired the arm. Still hum. Took the arm apart and ran new earth leads in the armtube and the pillar. Still hum. By now I am thinking that the Jelco is a doomed dud and I might have to make another plan and holiday in Durban...

Saturday.

I pick up another table from here: http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,28131.0.html
At the same time I pick up an OL1 (Rega RB251 hotrod) from the seller and think to myself that all I need to do is mount the arm. Sell the table and I can retire to sucking Fantas at Aventura Warmbaths.

No fukcin go! Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyway more about that here: http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,28121.0.html

So what is the small break you are asking about after all these pitiful tales of woe?

Today I managed to shoehorn the Jelco onto the Thorens TD150 and hey presto: ZERO HUM!  :wallbreak:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Sounds great! As you can see the Thorens is "aesthetically challenged". That I can still get to at some stage but for now I am very happy that I have something that works (and works well).  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Thorens TD150 Mkii + Jelco SA50 Tonearm

Thorens TD150 Mkii + Jelco SA50 Tonearm

Latest posts