Tempest Super Hundred!

Walt Lankor

Reaction score
Dear all
I am very pleased to be able to post here and hopefully draw on your knowledge.
I have been searching the web for references to an amp I just acquired. Perhaps not surprisingly, this forum is the only place that appears to have any real knowledge of this manufacturer and its products.
Somehow my unit has made it to Barnsley in the UK from "Cambridge Radio" in Salisbury (it has a "distributed by" sticker), it is in poor shape but my plan is to restore it.
I am really keen to learn about the history of the company and their products (particularly the "Super Hundred") and maybe something about the Cambridge Radio shop and how what has happened over the last 40-50 years in the south of Africa has influenced the audio manufacturing and retail industries there.

Any information and comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fredeb

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
[member=2759]charles[/member] [member=144]Ampdog[/member] [member=82]Family_Dog[/member]  [member=807]Steerpike[/member] - You may be able to divulge some info ?

Walt Lankor

Reaction score
Many thanks
The amp in question is currently in pieces, I will take some photos of the different elements and post them soon

Thanks again

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wish I could, I'm also following this thread with interest.

-F_D

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Walt

can?t comment on the amp or manufacturer but if the STK (Sanken) power amp hybrid circuits are defective, very common, they are probably unobtainium in SA but easy to find in Sweden for no money so if You need those let me know, I?ll get them and send.

Ingvar

Walt Lankor

Reaction score
Ingvar Ahlberg said:
Hi Walt

can?t comment on the amp or manufacturer but if the STK (Sanken) power amp hybrid circuits are defective, very common, they are probably unobtainium in SA but easy to find in Sweden for no money so if You need those let me know, I?ll get them and send.

Ingvar

Hi Ingvar
That kind of help would be very much appreciated, currently, I am waiting on 2 and 5-pin DIN plugs to test the system, and to find time to give it a clean before I go probing to look for any faults.
Incidentally, I'm in Yorkshire in the north of the UK, so how this amp made it here is a mystery

Best wishes

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, let?s say it was one of those nice two tone Bedfords, light green/white, light blue/white or perhaps cherry/white, improves the provenance quite a bit?

Or perhaps originaly stolen by a Swedish concrete salesman in Pretoria who, on his way home, forgot/lost the bag at Paddington station where a blacksmith from Northumberland found it and gave it to a cousin in Yorkshire (cousin on his mothers side, distantly related to Michael Palin)?

Ingvar

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Walt Lankor said:
Ha ha
That has rather taken the intrigue and romance out of it
:)

Hell,no. Probably far less prosaic than even that. The Tempest was made in what is now known as Zimbabwe. Even back then it would not qualify as hi fi, being sold mainly at Furniture shops, Tempest was known for all in one music centres that covered the bottom of the market and at the bottom of that bottom was Tempest. In 1980 Rhodesia became Zimbabwe. At the end of a murderous insurgent war and 15 years of  cripling sanctions , most white people upped the little they had left and left. Most came to South Africa,some to Australasia and some back to the UK. They probably took their "hi fi" with,died or went to an old age and the Tempest landed on the market-no better now than it was 40 or 50 years ago.

Rhodesia and South Africa had a terrific history in innovation.Nowhere can this be seen more than in the mine proof anti-insurgent vehicles now  proudly claimed by Americans as American. Due to a determined government campaign to keep more wealthy and educated South Africans in the dark about acts commited in their name,South Africa only got Television in 1975. In reaction to that,most people had massive Audio Centres and a massive interest in Audio. So for instance we had the American (and European) driven "High End" decades before the UK became aware of these brands. Our homegrown manufacturers came and went over the years,mainly because there were no "Bragging Rights" in SA brands but people like Schalk Havenga, Tim de Paravicini, the guy (forget his name) from Harman etc learned what they know right here. The fabled DCM Time Windows had their origin not more than 2 kilometres from where I stay. Also in the Pro-field you do not have to scratch hard to find an innovator,engineer or producer who didn't either come from here or learnt their craft right here.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very nice post [member=2475]Agaton Sax[/member]. I was very suspicious of that Salisbury.

Growing up, we had a Tempest "hifi" (or so it said on the front) that consisted of a record player (may have been Garrard SP25), a stereo receiver and two separate speakers on a metal stand with wooden shelves. The speakers were made of chipboard with real wood veneer covering, similar to our wardrobes, and had single full-range drivers. Proper hifi or not, that was where I heard a lot of Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heap, Osibisa, Santana, Cat Stevens, etc., played by my eldest brother's friends (I only realised years later that none of those LPs were owned by my brother - 11 years younger than he, I was the first person in my home to collect LPs!).

Found some pics of the speakers and receiver.

20200624_141501241_iOS_4032x.jpg

180117163333_1516199589356.jpg

marantz123

AVForums Super Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
I had something in storage, it was a Tempest "Super Twenty Five" or "Sixty Five", definitely a Super something... and is a console version (I.e no casing), a neighbour threw it out years ago and I enquired about it and they were more than happy to have someone interested in it. It had a Garrard table as well, one of the lower end spinners. Will look for any pics of it.

Walt Lankor

Reaction score
Hi
Many thanks, from what I gathered it looks like they did a lot of cabinet sets, and somewhat fewer separate amps etc, but I'm not too clear on their full range, there isn't much definitive information out there
I'm not too far off finishing restoring the super hundred now and initial tests look promising, getting outputs and I don't think there are too many issues. Mostly it just needs switches knobs and bulbs etc

Cheers

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Considering that old model is somewhere around 60+ years old, it would be good to get it purring again. Good luck with the restoration, for a budget radio it can likely put many "superior" models to shame.

-F_D

Walt Lankor

Reaction score
Family_Dog said:
Considering that old model is somewhere around 60+ years old, it would be good to get it purring again. Good luck with the restoration, for a budget radio it can likely put many "superior" models to shame.

-F_D
Thanks, for the encouragement, much appreciated, I felt it had some value other than monetary, and it is a rarity too, particularly in the UK, my guess would be it is pretty well unique here.
I think maybe it meant something to the owner who brought it to the UK and it has survived a very turbulent period of history. I would like to see it in service again.

:)