Subwoofer placement - Front or back?

Burzat

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Can a subwoofer be placed behind the listening position?

I have one subwoofer in front.

I have one in the back.

I only ever use one at a time.

Thinking maybe put the rear sub in the front. So that both are forward facing.

The sub in the back sounds good. Not as good as the one in front though.

I only use one at a time because they are both different brand subs.

Orcish75

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Can a subwoofer be placed behind the listening position?

Yup, most definitely, however your room layout is going to determine the best location for your sub.

Best bet would be to do the "subwoofer crawl" to find the optimal postion if you're using a single sub.

https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

If you want to use two or more subs, this document from Harman is a good guide to help you out. It's a long read, but if you just want to see the conclusion, go to page 28.

https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, my one is to the side.  Purely because that is a convenient place to put it.  I have moved it about a bit and found that taken away from the corner it does not have any boominess.  Its a dual-firing unit with drivers both sides

It is about 1/3 the way into the room.  200mm away from the side wall, 1300mm away from the end wall and 4000mm away from where I sit, against the back wall

But do you need two?

Burzat

AVForums Member
Reaction score
No. I do not need two. I only ever use one.

Because I have two. I dont like to leave it unused. So I go between both. Just to make sure they in use.

Option will be to sell one and just keep one.

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is this for stereo or HT? I think in stereo you need the subs next to the front speakers but foe HT you can pave them anywhere in the room. I have 2 and they are at the back of the room

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
https://www.svsound.com/blogs/subwoofer-setup-and-tuning/75040195-why-go-dual

Spidey

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have two subs; one in front and one at the back?front left and rear at the right (next to listening position , not behind)?I?ve used the Marantz processor?s Audessy EQ to do the adjustments and room corrections and they sound great. Seamless and integrated bass. I can?t go back to using one.
You should try both.
Cheers

RRankin

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Burzat said:
I only use one at a time because they are both different brand subs.

Have you tried them both together? The fact that they are different brands does not necessarily mean they will not work well when both are used. There are so many variables involved, adding a few like different amplification, bass extension ability etc etc only adds a few more. Even two identical subs interact differently with a room purely from the point of view that they are placed in different locations.

I'd give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. If it does not, well you lost nothing except a bit of time.

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
RRankin said:
Have you tried them both together? The fact that they are different brands does not necessarily mean they will not work well when both are used. There are so many variables involved, adding a few like different amplification, bass extension ability etc etc only adds a few more. Even two identical subs interact differently with a room purely from the point of view that they are placed in different locations.

I'd give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. If it does not, well you lost nothing except a bit of time.

I used to use 2 different subs and there was no negative impact at all but this was for HT and I dont know if it would work well in stereo especially when you run them in a stereo configuration (one for Left speaker and the other for right speaker. What I have seen being discouraged is the mixing of ported and sealed subs

juan

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
What about the wave length of low frequencies you need 6m plus don?t get the idea of placing sub behind seats after spending mega bucks, that means best bass is in front and boom in listening positions?

AlleyCat

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Burzat said:

What [member=19937]Burzat[/member] should respond to is : what receiver is he using ? Does it have Audessey EQ ?

If the answer is yes, then the article and opinion of [member=13474]TimbaLand[/member],and the article he referenced,  [member=1312]Spidey[/member] , etc..., is the answer to his conundrum.

Use Audessey EQ, if you have it, and want to integrate two subs in HT. If not,there are other active equipment and software alternatives.

ronman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I have 2 subs, and I have done the sub crawl too. Each sub landed up a bit wider, either side and about 1m behind the couch. In my room you don.t hear them...you feel feel them, and I am loving the experience. Had them on top of each other on the middle of the back wall which was very punchy, but I was weary of leaving them like this as both subs are down firing and I didn't want the top sub hurting the bottom sub. Once I found where they were happy I had to lift the fitted carpet to hide the cables but it was all worth it.
Hope you find what works for you and your room.

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have 2 subs which are both at the back of the room. This position was by default because they are both very big to get any space on the front

baasgene

Reaction score
Sub placement is so important, so during the week my tjom got an SVS PB1000 Pro like my own after he was super impressed with mine. After doing the subwoofer crawl we realized there is just no convenient place in his room that works lekker with it (it's a carpeted bed room with a 75'' and a queen size bed so space is severely limited). He's the boomy bass kind of man so you would think the corner would work, but no sir the corner helped but still didn't sound nearly as good as where mine is.

Grabbed the sub, took it to my place and placed it on the same place where my sub is and sure enough the sub is perfect, so nothing wrong with it. So he decided we must sell the SVS and just keep his ol cheapy down firing wharfedale dx12+, which gives him the boom he likes.

So yes, subwoofer placement is extremely important. Place the sub wherever you're going to have a seat and explore the room on your hands and knees to find the best place. Whether that's boomy or proper, it's your choice. You also don't have to take the best spot if it's inconvenient, go for a best of both scenario.

Check some subwoofer crawl videos on youtube to get a good idea.

I've not personally done dual subs, but in my mind putting it on the opposing wall after finding the first one with the crawl is probably going to work lekker, I'll try a dual setup one day.

Last edited: