Subwoofer Advice

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my 11 year old Velodyne SPL-1000 Ultras. My plan is to go for a pair Arendal 1723 S1s: https://arendalsound.com/product/1723-subwoofer-1s/

Any concerns over pairing KEF LS50 Metas with 13.8" subs - I wouldn't imagine so, but with such a large discrepancy I wonder if I might be missing something?

Juventino

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
KenMasters said:
I'm considering upgrading my 11 year old Velodyne SPL-1000 Ultras. My plan is to go for a pair Arendal 1723 S1s: https://arendalsound.com/product/1723-subwoofer-1s/

Any concerns over pairing KEF LS50 Metas with 13.8" subs - I wouldn't imagine so, but with such a large discrepancy I wonder if I might be missing something?

Have you managed to Demo the Arendal subs? Never seen the brand.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
juventino said:
Have you managed to Demo the Arendal subs? Never seen the brand.

No, but I've had my eye on them from the debut of the 1723 range and in that time they've accumulated a lot of praise from reputable review sites. The finish and form factor will also go great with the matt black finish of my cabinet and speakers, height is level with my cabinet as well - and I love the adjustment flexibility offered by the app.

EDIT: Audioholics review of a ported model - https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/arendal-1723

Juventino

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
KenMasters said:
No, but I've had my eye on them from the debut of the 1723 range and in that time they've accumulated a lot of praise from reputable review sites. The finish and form factor will also go great with the matt black finish of my cabinet and speakers, height is level with my cabinet as well - and I love the adjustment flexibility offered by the app.

EDIT: Audioholics review of a ported model - https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/arendal-1723

thanks, they look great. If you do pull the trigger please let us have reviews.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
juventino said:
thanks, they look great. If you do pull the trigger please let us have reviews.

Will do! They're sold out at the moment and new stock is only due in May, will hopefully be able to secure a pair then. I'm going to take the fact that no-one has voiced any concerns as confirmation that there's nothing to worry about in regards driver size.

DeonC

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are up to a little bit of DIY, I would strongly recommend one of the the Rythmik Audio Direct Servo subwoofers using 12" GR Research drivers. With the option of the Hypex plate amps you will have DSP to combat room modes, and the GR Research paper cones will without doubt keep up to the Kefs, even without the servo feedback. With it, they make for incredible subs.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
DeonC said:
If you are up to a little bit of DIY, I would strongly recommend one of the the Rythmik Audio Direct Servo subwoofers using 12" GR Research drivers. With the option of the Hypex plate amps you will have DSP to combat room modes, and the GR Research paper cones will without doubt keep up to the Kefs, even without the servo feedback. With it, they make for incredible subs.

Thanks, I have looked at Rythmik as an option, but I'd have to bring them in myself which negates the value proposition (Danish import taxes and service fees are no joke), which is then only further eroded by Arendal's 10 year warranty. Also the Arendal's have a more suitable form factor for my space and the adjustment options are a huge plus for me.

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
We don't get that brand in SA. As usual "suig ons aan die agter speen".

There is a nice "about" story on the website.
https://arendalsound.com/story/

It is a Norwegian brand (you are also in Oslo if I recall) that is made in China and seems to be keenly priced.

The store section of the website indicates that if I want to buy a 1723 sub, it will ship from Rotterdam in the Netherlands and will cost USD1599 (excl shipping and duties). If you just do a straight forex conversion that is about the same price as the entry level SVS SB1000PRO.
An 800W amp connected to a 13.8" driver should move a lot of air.

The rest of the speaker range looks great as well.

kruger.merwe

Reaction score
If you are going to buy direct, i would highly recommend Power Sound Audio

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/subwoofers

I have an 18" inch sub and it never misses a beat.... They are USA made and uses Italian drivers if i am not mistaken...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sound_Hound_SA

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I consider the LS50 Meta's as near field speakers, as placement is key not mention the sub you have must not overpower to a point where it affects the mid range. There should be a blend. I have had subs totally over power my stereo setup (won't mention the brand). Then again that same sub paired with a more forward pair of floor speakers and different music genre than what I listen to would be a perfect match.

Goodluck

Orcish75

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
kruger.merwe said:
If you are going to buy direct, i would highly recommend Power Sound Audio

Those are some impressive looking subs.  :thumbs:

This one is just ridiculous, down to 11Hz!!!

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/tv42-ipal-1

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sound_Hound_SA said:
I consider the LS50 Meta's as near field speakers, as placement is key not mention the sub you have must not overpower to a point where it affects the mid range. There should be a blend. I have had subs totally over power my stereo setup (won't mention the brand). Then again that same sub paired with a more forward pair of floor speakers and different music genre than what I listen to would be a perfect match.

Goodluck

I sit just a bit over 2m from the Metas, bass response in my room is pretty decent. To my mind subs wouldn't overpower the main speakers no matter how large they are if the response is relatively smooth, the levels properly matched and decay times are good?

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A quick update, I've had the Arendals for a few days now and very impressed. Setup was a snap, the app is very intuitive with changes instantly applied. I haven't tried running Audyssey as yet as I'm waiting on new furniture, but very impressed with what I was able to achieve through the app alone. Going to try app alone, Audyssey alone and then combine the two - see what works best.

After initial setup, the difference wasn't readily apparent - same room, similar response curve (to a point) I guess. After a bit of time watching normal content and listening to music I started to notice how "airy" the bass was, effortless, more fineness, less compression. Even at low volumes the sound has a weight that I didn't get from the Velodynes, male voices just when speaking have a gravitas they didn't have before, at least not at lower volumes. There's also a sharper edge to transients, a "snap" to the sound that actually makes quite a difference to some tracks I thought I knew well (none of my headphones sound quite like it either).

These things are all quite subtle though in comparison to the major difference, very low bass is really well defined with these subs. With my Velodynes there was something of a droning quality to very low bass, by virtue I suppose of having to push those small drivers as hard as they did. These sound just absolutely rock solid, totally unphased with tracks that would sometimes make me a little concerned about my old subs. With these you can hear it's absolutely no problem, not fussed in the least.

Here's a comparison of the response at my MLP between the old and new subs (no smoothing):

Velodynes:

Velodyne.png

Arendals:

Arendal.png

Last edited:

Orcish75

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Wow!! What a difference! Seriously impressive. (y)

Getting 80dB at 8Hz is insane! They're gonna be killer with decent movie soundtracks.

No, not jealous at all... ;)