Streaming requirements Help please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddy100

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if any of the experts could kindly assist me? I want to get recommendations on acceptable specifications for fibre: but not bleeding edge most expensive packages.

We live in a small village near Hermanus. Currently contractors are busy excavating our roads and installing fibre. Currently our local internet provider delivers max 4Mbps via wireless and his customer base have small dish receivers at rooftop height. In my house I have Ethernet to my desk, to my Marantz streaming receiver and to Apple TV for Netflix. Plus wifi of course.

Apple TV for Netflix works fine. No buffering interruptions occur.

When the fibre infrastructure is completed I want to discontinue the wireless setup and move to fibre. Quite often we have slow speeds here, prevalent during bad weather. And frequent technical interruptions occur due to flat transmitter batteries, etc (or so they tell us).

The intention is to use Apple Music to receive their recently introduced lossless quality streaming. Hardware to be purchased downstream to ensure I can obtain this quality. I do not ever want MQA. My amp is a valve hybrid. I will never subscribe to multiple expensive streaming services when I can get Apple lossless for R59 a month. I expect that the most I will ever need is 24 bit 192 kHz. My old ears won?t notice anything fancier.

The service provider has a monthly offer on fibre of 20 Mbps down. Then more expensive packages at 30, etc.

What suggestions can forum members provide iro fibre requirements? Is 20Mbps enough? Please understand too that I am looking for a simple cost effective setup. Myself and my wife only in house. And we watch Netflix together so concurrent bandwidth unlikely to be an issue. Where possible I will use Ethernet rather than wifi for internal connections.

Many thanks.

Latest posts