Stax SR009

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've added a set of Stax SR009 electrostatic headphones and a SRM-007tII tube energiser to my collection of headphones.
The sound that these produce is absolutely jaw dropping. If you love headphones, you MUST listen to this. I've been going between this setup and the Audeze LCD5 + iFi iDSD PRO. What an interesting comparison.
The LCD5 is fast, dynamic and punchy, the Stax is just so natural and airy.
I can't decide which is better ...
Any other Stax lovers here? The Stax SR009S / WOO Audio WES / Nagra Tube DAC combo is still the best headphone system I have heard, but at close to R1m you will need to sell a kidney, lung and both testicles to own.

camphoto_959030623.JPG

Last edited:

Dhiveshan

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Congrats Drifter! They look fantastic. It was going to take something special to improve on your headphone kit and it looks like you’ve landed on the perfect choice! 👌

I clearly remember the first 2170 that I tried. What a mind bending experience! I could not comprehend how music could be made to sound that good.

xenithon

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Awesome news and big congrats. I loved my time with the SR007 Mk2 many years ago, and the original Stax SR-Omega I had on extended loan for a while before that. Incredible gear.

I’ve also heard these powered off a Blue Hawaii before…..but boy oh boy that’s big money.

One day soon I hope to hear the revered SR-X9000.

capetownwatches

Veteran Nogschlepper
Reaction score
Go straight to the TOTL, do not pass GO...! 😄

There is something very special about electrostatics in general and Stax in particular.
Mine coexist perfectly with my other headphones and it's a special occasion each time I fire them up.

Like Dhiv I started at the bottom with the entry level 2170 and, like Dhiv, I was blown away by the musicality of this little amp and earspeaker.
I didn't think it could get much better, but it does...my current 353X/L500 took things to a significantly higher level.
One at which I am very satisfied indeed.

Enjoy the new toys and I'll let you know when to put the kettle on...

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Love Stax! Like Arie I lost my innocence with the SRS2170 (which I still have ... Best value system ever if you value speed, detail and transparency), and then picked up a SRS5100 about a year ago. As CPTW said the 5100 improved on all aspects, but of the two the lowly 2170 is the most impressive exactly because it is so cheap and offers so much of the Stax experience. Both sets share a lot with the AKG K1000 which remains a benchmark to me.

Heard a forum member's SR007 and SR009 on Woo WES and GES a couple of years ago. Those were staggering ...hard to describe but every single aspect you could think of was better than on lower level Staxen. And of course the pricier combo won the day ... as they say: one peek at the bottles ...

Last edited:

MalcolmS

Reaction score
Welcome to the Stax club drifter. The WES + 009s still takes the cake in my headfi collection even though the Susvara + Ferrum stack is a close 2nd.

Enjoy the many hours of sheer joy !

BTW, I still miss the bite (as you put it during our listening session) of the 009 vs the more refined signature of the 009s but the benefit is slightly more bass extension.

Looking forward to hearing the the X9000 one day but it's not going to sound that good with missing kidneys and other limbs so not on the radar

MalcolmS

Reaction score
Fortunately the more entry level Stax range (L300/500/700) all have that Stax ES signature to varying degrees and sound great paired with a smaller energizer. Must admit that their looks are an acquired taste and those plastic rectangle bodies don't exactly inspire confidence but they are actually more sturdy than they appear.

Klankliefhebber

Reaction score
Very jealous. My own SRS2170 has in been in for repairs since I got it last year. I really hope to have it soon, but even the not-quite-100% sound that I got from that system made me fall in love with the STAX unobtanium.

Nikka Slow

Reaction score
I've added a set of Stax SR009 electrostatic headphones and a SRM-007tII tube energiser to my collection of headphones.
The sound that these produce is absolutely jaw dropping. If you love headphones, you MUST listen to this. I've been going between this setup and the Audeze LCD5 + iFi iDSD PRO. What an interesting comparison.
The LCD5 is fast, dynamic and punchy, the Stax is just so natural and airy.
I can't decide which is better ...
Any other Stax lovers here? The Stax SR009S / WOO Audio WES / Nagra Tube DAC combo is still the best headphone system I have heard, but at close to R1m you will need to sell a kidney, lung and both testicles to own.

View attachment 11805
I love my 009s and 007tii energizer 😎