Speakers for my stepdad's vintage Technics HiFi

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantz

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I visited my stepdad this past weekend and had a look at his old Technics HiFi. I attach a few images below.

I don't think it was a very high end system at the time, but he bought it all together in the early 1980s including a pair of SB-1950 speakers. He still has all the original manuals. Unfortunately, the foam surrounds on the speakers disintegrated many years ago and he eventually got rid of them. He was distraught when I told him it might be possible to get a foam surround repair kit nowadays for not too much money. The belt on the turntable also needs to be replaced.

He hasn't used the system since he got rid of the speakers and I would like to help him get it in listening condition again. Do you guys think there is any chance of sourcing a pair of SB-1950 speakers in South Africa? Alternatively, what speakers would you guys suggest to replace them? He doesn't have a lot of money but I guess we could probably get a few family members to chip in for something. Also, where can I source a replacement belt for the turntable?

I know some Technics models are sought after and I doubt he'll ever sell it, but I am curious to know if the stack is worth something. Looking forward to the responses. Thanks guys!

Pictures:

Stack
I93dW8T.jpg

SL-B2 Turntable
PIgULmV.jpg

ST-S1 Tuner
FfDmJQK.jpg

SU-Z1 Amplifier
607wH3M.jpg

M6 Mk3 Cassette Deck
ar2vF6N.jpg

User manuals