Small Desktop setup - Eclipse TD508MK3 speakers?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodEnoughGear

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi folks - I'm doing a modest desktop setup and looking at speaker options. Front runners right now are KEF LS50, available for R17k and change which is actually cheaper than Amazon! Also similar price range and similar savings vs overseas is a Dali Fazon Sat + Sub 1 2.1 system coming in at about R15k.

That said, price isn't the end consideration here, so I am looking around. What I feel I want is something effective for near-field at lowish SPL...I'm not trying to rock the joint, but rather to get a detailed, immersive experience at my desk that lends itself to critical listening. I also want something discrete, and to be honest the LS50's are a tad large for my taste.

Other options on the list are Amphion Argon 0, ATC SCM7, DynAudio Excite X14 and so on...the usual suspects. However I've become aware of the Eclipse TD508MK3 http://www.eclipse-td.com/uk/products/td508mk3/index.html...a single driver system that has the expected limitations but sounds like it may make up for that in speed and coherency.

Has anyone heard this design, or better yet, this model and can comment?

BTW the stack will likely be Schiit Jotunheim or NuPrime DAC-9-->NuPrime STA-9.

Thanks!