Seeking advice on desktop speakers

iamgigglz

Reaction score
I’m looking for a pair of powered speakers/monitors for my desktop, just for general all day music with some occasional gaming.
They’ll be on my desk, maybe 6 inches from a wall; not sure if front or rear ported is the way to go.
I’ll be feeding them from an IFi Zen DAC which does give a soft warmth to the sound, plus it has a pretty good bass boost if need be.

Budget is around R5k. I’ve been tempted by BiZKiT’s Klipsch R51PM but I’m told they can be “bright”, “forward” and therefore a bit fatiguing to listen to all day. Would my DAC take that edge off?

Any other suggestions? Takealot alone has half a dozen options but I have no idea what they sound like.

WhoIsJOB

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Just a warning from someone who had the Bentley FR100s as desktop speakers - they don't play well close to a back wall if the room is small - I ended up selling mine because they sounded too large in my small home office (they became boomy and muffled at times).
That said, they sound wonderful near-field if the room is a little larger and you place them about 30cm away from the back wall (like in my previous room).
I had tested them on a NAD 3020 Series 20, NAD 3020i and Mars Exceller tube amp, and all three combo's sounded great.
BiZkit has a pair for R3500, so if you can get a NAD for R1500 (entirely possible) you are settled (I scored a 3120 and 6050C tape deck for 1500 on Marketplace few weeks ago that will be going in my parents' new entertainment room) :)

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Bentley FR50s from Heine (Drifter)
Exactly what the doctor ordered
No front grilles
Mine are right against the wall and there is a 100 watt chip amp driving them
They are sealed boxes so no boominess

Last edited:

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, a gent above remarked that the FR100s, which have a port, tend to be somewhat boomy close to the wall
The FR50 have quite a small (6 inch) driver so, coupled with a sealed enclosure, limits the low-frequency response
Being next to my monitor, they are only used for audio that accompanies the occasional YouTube video, Whatsapp stuff and just to check there is audio on a clip when its supposed to be there
In other words, not for serious listening
What it does, for what it delivers is really good and they weren't expensive
Knocks the socks off these plastic-body "computer speakers" that even pretend to have a sub-woofer

Last edited:

WhoIsJOB

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Huh ? That does not make logical sense...
What does not make logical sense?
Back ported speakers too close to walls produce extra bass - that's why some companies provide the bongs that can be placed inside the ports to dampen the bass.
Sealed speakers don't have this problem as much.
I've experienced this first hand with both my Bentley FR100 (rear-ported) and NHT 1.5 (sealed cabinet) speakers.
Bentleys sounded boomy and muddy on my desk against the wall in my current room at louder volumes, but not in previous room where I had some space behind and to the sides of them.
NHT's sound much the same from previous room and in current room, even at louder volumes, thus I kept them and let go of the Bentleys due to space constraints.
There is no fault with the Bentleys - they just need some space to shine. I loved them in my previous room and will recommend them to anyone if they will be used in an environment with space.

But we are deviating from OP's question. There are many forums and videos on this topic.

I've experienced it first-hand and in much the same situation as OP, hence my advice to go with sealed cabinet speakers.

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a pair of Bentley FR100's and really like them. I agree, they need some space behind them to sound shine. They do sound good nearfield, but perhaps they are a bit big for a desktop setup. A friend of mine has a pair of Edifier powered speakers and he really enjoys them. He swapped his B&W 685 bookshelf speakers for the Edifiers.

Edifier.jpg

bbe22

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
"speakers too close to walls produce extra bass " careful , know what you try to say , but not true ....... look at why exactly , and better than the other ref read here - about room gain and interference - Speaker Placement 101: Is Speaker-Boundary Interference Killing Your Bass? - many similar references out there ( and no two rooms are the same ) A speaker's output is fixed by design , what you hear, depends on placement , your listening position and the room interference

Last edited:

minion

Reaction score
I have FR100s on my desk with minimum distance from the wall, and I love them. Not boomy or muddy at all.

I've previously tried the Edifiers above, and was very underwhelmed.

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
R2000 or thereabouts for powered speakers will not get you much.

The Bentley FR50's are perfect for the desk. I made a stand that lifts them and tilts them to fire straight at my ears when seated. They are paired with a NAD D3020 amp/dac.
The FR100's are fantastic speakers but they physically much larger and take up a lot of real estate if you place them on the desk.

AECE47D3-6E58-496C-BCC5-48ED8A34C46F.JPG

asr001

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Just a warning from someone who had the Bentley FR100s as desktop speakers - they don't play well close to a back wall if the room is small - I ended up selling mine because they sounded too large in my small home office (they became boomy and muffled at times).
That said, they sound wonderful near-field if the room is a little larger and you place them about 30cm away from the back wall (like in my previous room).
I had tested them on a NAD 3020 Series 20, NAD 3020i and Mars Exceller tube amp, and all three combo's sounded great.
BiZkit has a pair for R3500, so if you can get a NAD for R1500 (entirely possible) you are settled (I scored a 3120 and 6050C tape deck for 1500 on Marketplace few weeks ago that will be going in my parents' new entertainment room) :)
Would the fr50s from Bentley do better? I've been considering those cause the size suits my desk in terms of footprint.

iamgigglz

Reaction score
@Drifter and @chrisc those FR50s look great and they're crazy cheap, but I'm concerned about what kind of low end I'd get out of them, if any. I'm not looking for room-rumbling bass but I want my speakers to have some meat to them without relying on too heavily on a sub. I just need an appropriate budget amp to pop up on the forum...
I'm targeting a R5k budget but there's some headroom over that.

@Curlycat I actually borrowed a pair of R1280-BT speakers (the bluetooth version) for a few days and didn't like the sound. They seemed to have a dip between the mids and tweeters, almost as if the crossover wasn't tuned properly. That experience has put me off Edifier a little, probably unfairly though.

What a rabbit-hole. Building custom PCs is easier than this 😂

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not much low-end. They are tiny sealed boxes after all. What they do do is superb. Its audible but tails off below 80Hz