Saturday Night In San Francisco

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
John McLaughlin is a legend in jazz - not only because of his famous collaboration with Miles Davis. In the 70ties John McLaughlin formed Shakti with Indian musicians. Shakti was very popular in India and introduced jazz to the traditional Indian music. After his Shakti project, John McLaughlin toured with Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucía and recorded in 1980 the now famous "Friday Night in San Francisco". Friday Night in San Francisco was the first jazz LP I bought. It is certainly among this popular jazz records ever. The amazing play bridges modern flamenco and jazz. The atmosphere is amazing. If you never heard it, treat yourself to some ice cream for the ears and listen to it.

In 2000 John McLaughlin restarted his West-East collaboration with a new version of his Indian band that he called now 'Remember Shakti". They became popular again in India and in 2001 he released "Saturday Night in Bombay". While "Friday Night in SFO" had the image of being the best acoustic guitar jazz album ever recorded, "Saturday Night in Bombay" is a strong candidate for the finest East-West jazz fusion.

Now that another 20 years have passed, we are treated to another truffle from the archive. "Saturday Night in San Francisco" covers the evening after "Friday Night". I have not made my mind up which recording is better. There is no overlap as different pieces were played both evenings. Wonderful relaxed acoustic guitar jazz. Highly recommended.

Friday Night in San Francisco on Tidal

Saturday Night in Bombay on Tidal

Saturday Night in San Francisco on Tidal

Let's hope that we don't have to wait another 20 years for the next one. As far as I know there is a recoding of the Sunday Night show in San Francisco somewhere in the archives: Bill Graham made sure all shows were recorded.

Music is the best,
Ecki

Latest posts