Sansui 210s

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naboo

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I need to get some hours onto the DIY DAC (thread elsewhere in DIY section), so decided to move it to my study to play CDs whilst working. I left the valve amp downstairs, and remembered that I bought a cheapie Sansui 210s a while ago, that wasn't working.

When I first got the Sansui, I simply connected speakers and a source and only very, very faint sound came from the speakers. I googled around and found quite a few hits that it was probably the tape monitor that was switched on. The actual tape monitor switch was not attached to the amp, but I found it inside, in a little plastic bag - someone else had obviously also tried to fix it. At the time, I wanted to simply bypass the switch but couldn't figure out how the thing worked (I really don't like switches all that much  :headbanger:

I thought I'd have another look at it now. I followed a very scientific method to figure out what need to be connected on the tape monitor. Took a little wire and touched bits on the switch till I could hear something. Nothing blew up or shocked me, and in fact, I actually got some sweet sounds coming through :thumbs:

I need to figure out how to connect the old switch, but will do so later. As far as the sound from the amp is concerned:
- It is really good quality sound - very little noise,
- It can go really, really loud (10w per channel? Almost can't believe that!)

So why I am sitting here, typing? The sound is a bit veiled and a bit boxy - not sure how to describe it. It's not that anything is missing from the sound, just that it sounds a bit damped. This is more so for vocals than anything else (in fact, guitar and sax don't seem to suffer this at all).

It is not annoying and I can certainly live with it, but though I'd check whether you think:
- that this is characteristic of the model
- that my speakers are not sensitive enough (I think it's around 89db) - and certainly doesn't sound like the amp is having problems with it.
- perhaps it needs to be recapped? (seems to be from '72 - hey - it is as old as I am and I could sure use a recap) Any way to check whether this is necessary?

TIA for any replies.