Rollerblocks - Unexplainable Impact?

Jozua_2019

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I have for the moment moved back to solid state. As a temporary system I hooked up a Quad 34 and a DIY Pass F5 with ancient Vd Hul "The First" interconnects.

I know the Quad 34 is musical but in my experience not the ultimate when it comes to resolution. The F5 I have always liked. It holds itself very well against my 100 watt valve amp - the F5 maybe just lacking in a bit of midrange body and extreme low end grunt compared to the valve amp.

Just for fun I placed the Quad 34 on Series 2 Rollerblocks - not expecting much as the pre has puny transformer and is most likely vibration free?

All I can say is "WOW" I am hearing detail not heard before. The sound value it offers compared to my main system is stupendous.  The valves still have the edge providing a much higher emotional engagement with the music but this is solid state hifi at it's best. 

The logic why the rollerblocks made such a difference defies me ?

udwadia

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Symposium Rollerblocks minimise vibration.  Call it isolation.  These little fellas work in my system too.

christowp

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting upgrade. How about some pics. Show the item and where it needs to go or where you put it. Thanks for sharing

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought a squash ball, cut in half, would suffice at a lesser price

mORRviX.jpg

Moonraker

Reaction score
Next, you should mount your listening chair on rollerblocks  and suspend the amplifier from a helium balloon and try that.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also spotted one gent who mentioned he has audio foam under a granite slab upon which is a sub-woofer

My floor is 32mm teak parquet on a concrete base, some 75 years old.  I would have thought this solid enough.  I did acquire (free of charge) a block of dressed granite and wonder if some foam would offer an improvement

The combo (sub and slab) is very heavy (over 60kg) so anything under gets squeezed quite a bit

ronman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
[member=746]chrisc[/member]    what red cups are those that you have placed the squash balls into ?
Like all sorts before.. Keen to try that

(Does the colour of the cup effect the sound quality  :sh1tstirrer:  LOL)

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is dried bulls-blood in a synthetic aqueous solution

(Sorry, wrong post)

Jam jar lids.  I washed them first as they were a bit sticky.  You could raid your wife's Tupperware collection for something similar I suppose

ronman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Thank you Sir
On a side note..
been thinking of a subwoofer isolation idea using tennis balls placed in a low profile box with a floating lid that each subwoofer rests on. 
Always some cheap way to tinker to find better results. Fun to play!

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I put 4 tennis balls under the granite slab.  The next day when I looked, one ball had collapsed.  Squash balls are more robust

ronman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
GOSH
was there any audible difference using the squash balls? did the bass feel tighter ?

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
It might have been.  I did the exercise 2+ years ago.  Maybe I should reverse it and listen more carefully