RIP

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oom Amp will surely be missed. A scholar and a true gentleman. I met him via the forum, but was by then familiar with his electronics articles that used to pop up in newspapers and magazines decades earlier.

My sincere condolences to his family and all who knew him.

Nirvana

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Truly sad news indeed! His posts were always lucid and full of technical knowledge, experience and expertise!
And a true gentleman at that.

RIP oom Johan... 💐

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Unfortunately I never the man in person but we had a couple of conversations on the phone. He was incredibly knowledgeable and will really be missed. Rus in vrede, oom Johan!

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My condolences to his family and friends. Losing a loved one is very hard. I will miss his wise participation in this forum. Go in peace.

RRankin

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Folks, it is with deep sadness that I have to announce that our very own Johan Potgieter (Ampdog) passed away this morning just after 4:00 after a brief period of hospitalisation.

Our sincerest condolences to his friends and family.

Like Abe... Another Legend is lost....

-F_D

This is sad news. Rus sag oom Johan.

Ampdog was, sometimes, a tenacious fellow on the forum, stood his ground which was to be respected but sometimes challenging if you found yourself on the other side of the fire / debate.

The person behind that was however at all times a loveable gentleman, I am sure all those who had the privilege to meet him in person can attest to it.

King_Julian_S

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agh noo man, so sad to hear, I met oom Johan when he was helping me with the sansui au111, so sad indeed 😔.. Condolences to the Potgieter family.

I found this thread of years ago, where people from all over were drooling about the Sansui restore, then someone got suspicious because he saw we're from Africa, I had to register to speak up and also asked Johan to see the thread :

xumbug

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Very sad news indeed, I had many conversations over the years and his knowledge was extensive. Back in the early 2000's he brought a few of his prototype Valve amplifiers over to test and we had great fun. We have lost one of the greats. Condolences to all that knew him.

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was showing some friends the restoration Oom Johan did on the Sansui AU111. I would say its the BEST, neatest and most amazing work I EVER seen. Old School, labelling, tie-ups with thin binding rope, ever corner in the same pattern. Took him months. His mind was like his work, exquisite. A GREAT man and mind. I will miss you Oom Johan!!!!

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am at a loss for words. After hearing of his lapse in health yesterday I was already reflecting on so many things. This morning I woke up anticipating this news. I reflect with gratitude for the example in humility, giving a fair hearing to all sides and then having peace with what is and sternly carrying on with ones ways but with more appreciation for others.

He was an intuitive polymath with a near infectious curiosity for that what makes things tick. He had patience to explain things, even if his intuitive understanding of circuits far transcended what I was able to make sense of. His eagerness to share was youthful into old age, he was dedicated to his community and he will be missed.

Contrabass

AVForums Member
Reaction score
RIP Johan ➕
I had privilege of meeting him at his home as he performed his craftsman work to restore a decrepit Quad amp back to it's former glory. This is now a physical piece of his legacy.
Sincere condolences to his family.

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Johan was busy with a series of audio articles that he was writing and we were still discussing in which section of the forum it would appear. This was a recent as two weeks ago. A very sudden passing has put paid to that idea though, more's the pity, it would have enhanced his legacy here and it would have been written in his own unique manner for all of us to peruse and benefit from.

-F_D