Record Weights

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Do they make a difference? someone asked on this forum. I pooh poohed "Yes, No, Maybe, I don't know". Croak said much the same. In fact,we concluded,it's all about if your TT was designed for one. Clever-Trevor cop-out that one.On another forum some person is advocating the use of the $6000 Dalby. Yes that is six thousand Dollars US!

I've been a bit slow on vinyl lately and my right wrist being sort of immobile, I started using an Audio Technica weight instead of the weight-clamp arrangement on my Thorens tt that was part of the design as the latter needs more arm movement. The AT weighs quite a bit, is made from brass and rubber and well, holds down the record. The Thorens is shiny and gold, all metal, weighs a bit and clamps as well as hold down the record.

Vinyl has been OK. I went from the Reed vd Hul, then the all FR setup and finally Koetsu arm and cart, Nordost Balanced Cable to the remade Whisper. The Koetsu was loaded differently (Thanks Leo). I played Cream. It was excellent, bass growled and Baker really let go at that tom toms and kick. But it was dark, Koetsu dark. For side 2, I forgot and used  the Thorens clamp. My jaw dropped. Baker's cymbals on brave Ullyses was brilliant, tambourine splattered and ducked and dived. Clapton's quitar needed to be peeled off the roof. This is a Koetsu Onyx? Nah,it's just warming up, Koetsu style. Back to the AT weight, Elton John. He is dark and back there,his piano beautiful and serene. Thorens clamp and 4 rows forward ,his voice soars and dartles. Piano strings vibrate, hits the casing and soars into space where they hit the studio walls before dissipating.

It's not if you use a clamp, it is what clamp you use for what table,what music,what system! AARGH!

Latest posts