Rasberry Pi4 Sample Rate (MQA question)

Niemand.JP

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a question, might be a stupid one.

With regards to a Rasberry Pi 4 with Volumio + iFi Zen One Signature.

The light on the iFi sign shows correct color for MQA, but the Hz one stays at 48hz light. Volumio also showing 24 Bit 48Hz.

Is that the the MQA sample and bitrate? How can I see the rate in Tidal app on phone or PC?

Is there a setting I need to do on Volumio or Pi itself to have a higher Hz. What i can see is that MQA is 24bit 192Hz?

Hope question makes sense.

Regards

Nikkel

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Niemand.JP said:
Hi All

I have a question, might be a stupid one.

With regards to a Rasberry Pi 4 with Volumio + iFi Zen One Signature.

The light on the iFi sign shows correct color for MQA, but the Hz one stays at 48hz light. Volumio also showing 24 Bit 48Hz.

Is that the the MQA sample and bitrate? How can I see the rate in Tidal app on phone or PC?

Is there a setting I need to do on Volumio or Pi itself to have a higher Hz. What i can see is that MQA is 24bit 192Hz?

Hope question makes sense.

Regards
MQA comes in all flavours from 44.1kHz

Niemand.JP

Reaction score
[member=15784]Nikkel[/member] i am seeing that as well, how do i know on Tidal what it is? Trying to test if a higher one also goes to 48Khz

mr_b

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I'm also streaming via a Pi4 with Volumio. USB out to an RME dac, and from Tidal too. I listen to many Masters on Tidal, but don't have a MQA unfolding DAC, but for what it's worth I've never seen the DAC display anything higher than 44.1Khz from Tidal.

I also have high-res files streaming from a USB drive, and when playing those the DAC displays higher incoming rates right up to 352Khz.

Nikkel

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Niemand.JP said:
[member=15784]Nikkel[/member] i am seeing that as well, how do i know on Tidal what it is? Trying to test if a higher one also goes to 48Khz
I'm on Windows desktop and my SMSL SU-9 DAC has a display which will indicate bit rate for all files including MQA

The Tidal app only indicates "Master" "HiFi" etc.

Not familiar with Pi software at all so hopefully the Pi gurus may be able to comment...

Niemand.JP

Reaction score
Hi on your PC [member=15784]Nikkel[/member] have you seen higher than 48Khz on a master track in Tidal.

Just trying to figure out if there is a Pi setting, or volumio that i might miss, or i am just thinking up a problem.

Tidal does change between HiFi and Master depending on the song.

Nikkel

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Niemand.JP said:
Hi on your PC [member=15784]Nikkel[/member] have you seen higher than 48Khz on a master track in Tidal.

Just trying to figure out if there is a Pi setting, or volumio that i might miss, or i am just thinking up a problem.

Tidal does change between HiFi and Master depending on the song.
Yes Sir!

Try some of the 2L Masters on Tidal here https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/3f6a06c7-0dfc-4170-bac3-dce62aa6c42e

This is what I get on playback

Niemand.JP

Reaction score
[member=15784]Nikkel[/member] with a few i tested there, the Khz light does go White which means it over 48Khz. Volumio not showing it that why, but DAC does. Like you said then all about the music then, and in what MQA it was done.

The format according to light is all MQA Studio. So guess it is working as intended.

Regards

Music_Lover

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have an iFi Stream into a Neo iDSD DAC and the highest I've seen on the DAC is 96kHz on a MQA master. Mostly it is 48kHz.

Niemand.JP

Reaction score
[member=1995]Music_Lover[/member] i am not sure what khz is but got light to White which means over 48khz. The playlist Nikkel shared took it into white. Looks like most modern songs that i listen to is 44.1/48khz even thought it MQA and Zen One gives blue light for MQA studio.

irengineer

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Pi 3 running Dietpi with Roon endpoint installed. The Pi is Ethernet connected to my network. I connect two DAC's to it via USB. A basic Lavaudio DS600 Bluetooth DAC and a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. The Mytek is an MQA decoder. On the 2L Master playlist on Tidal, the Mytek displays the MQA icon, with 24 Bit 352KHz sample rate. The other DAC displays up to 96KHz with software dexoding from Roon. The Pi supports it all.

seanjammy

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
The challenge is Volumio - as far is I understand it it cannot render MQA correctly. I tried everything but eventually gave up and went to Audirvana kernel streaming into Ropieeexl via PnP. Works fine (and Audirvana sounds much better than Roon).

mr_b

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Correct, Volumio does not have software unfolding built-in, due to the cost of the contentious format licensing.

What it can do though is pass through the MQA encoded data stream for hardware unfolding on a MQA compatible DAC.

Screenshot_20220620-193048_Volumio.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620-192449_Volumio.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620-192449_Volumio.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 0

mr_b

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
OK, correction folks. Just did the litmus test. Volumio 3 appears to be able to do the first software unfold. The Master Quality button shown above does liberate better quality from MQA tracks.

First, with Volumio MQ turned off. On this MQA track reflects 44.1khz and 32bit:

Screenshot_20220620-195353_Volumio.jpg

DAC shows:

20220620_195547.jpg

Then, with MQ button on. Same track 48khz 24bit. So it's doing something:

Screenshot_20220620-200050_Volumio.jpg

DAC shows:

20220620_200125.jpg

Not sure an increase from 44.1 to 48khz is worth much, but clearly the MQ button does something.

Niemand.JP

Reaction score
100%, but what i have seen, even if Volumino is showing 48hkz, light on my Zen One Signature has light that shows 96khz +