Primare NP5 positive

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddy100

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at a used item recently. Found a Primare NP5 used. So I thought I should check local support. Next I knew Daniel from Sky Audio (local) offered me a new one at a discount. So it arrived and I listened to it this week. Nice, very nice but not quite there.?

But web searches intimated that a better power supply would improve matters. Many thanks to Audio Exchange: iFi Audio ipower X. Plugged in this morning. Wow. Big improvement. I web searched and see reviews that claim Primare NP5 is competitive with Node 2i. Or better. I am unable to comment as I have not had opportunity to hear both these items. But I am very happy with the sound of the NP5 with the Ipower X. Sounds great to me.

The NP5 has no DAC. It does have SPDIF out and Toslink. I have tested both into my DAC. The NP5 sounds better than my Rotel RCD 955AX used as CD transport. DAC is an ancient Meridian 203. In my view, the Primare is delivering a better sound than the CD player to the DAC. My good lady wandered past and stated ?wow sounds lovely?. Hardly a double blind test. Both of us can hear improvements. And obviously a better DAC would reveal more. Maybe a Chord DAC soon.

Playing mostly from Apple Music and from Tunein radio. But it has played anything I have on my iPhone. Radio Paradiso, BBC, podcasts. Etc. seems to play everything.

I know very little about streaming so take my view caution. But maybe some forum members might find this piece of kit worth exploring. And also note the improvements delivered by the ipower X. Have fun, enjoy.

Latest posts