Possessed Pioneer PL320 turntable - tips for exorcism

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfritter

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first post here, so go easy on me! I am an audio-noob without a lot of time, tools, or experience to work on hifi equipment, but with a love for music and good sound.

I was recently given a Pioneer PL320, vintage 1981. The original owner bought this along with a SA520 amp, and all the matching goodies - EQ, tape deck, tuner, the works, all with the classic silver look. He offered me the lot but I decided to take just the amp and the turntable because I didn't envisage using the rest.

The amp works fine and is powering my hifi/home theatre setup (consisting almost exclusively of hand-me-downs, so not a top-end system by any stretch).

The turntable currently houses some sort of DJ-scratching demon that refuses to come out. The platter will spin sedately for around 5 - 10 minutes, then start a ritual where it speeds up and slows down of its own volition, sometimes even coming to a complete stop and, I kid you not, playing in reverse. It really is something to behold. This happens no matter what the speed control switch is set to. Despite this, the sound from the player really isn't bad, especially taking into account its age.

Here is a video for the unbelievers among you: https://i.imgur.com/JzPtk2m.mp4 (I will brook no complaint over the quality of the music, you will understand that I don't want to sacrifice my good vinyl to this beast).

I've googled the issue and found some people claiming that a good clean of all the pots will solve the issue; others say the only solution is replacing the speed control board. Nilam Naran has already taken a solid look and done his best to clean the pots, but he reckons it's a lost cause, and a new board is the only solution. I've also spoken to Croak but he (understandably) doesn't foresee having the time to dig around inside a 40-year-old low-range turntable to salvage something of value.

So I am asking for ideas for next steps. I was thinking Catholic priest and holy water, but if anyone has any suggestions for other denominations (or people who would be keen for a project, or a source for a cheap board, or museum to donate to, or any other left-field suggestions), let me know. Perhaps I can Frankenstein the tonearm from this onto a working platter, or somehow bypass the faulty board? At the end of the day I don't need something that will make me cry because of the amazing sound (this device has caused enough tears already), just something that will let me listen to some records every now and then without an automatic remix each time I put it on.

Thanks!