Polk DSW Pro 600 subwoofer- scavenge for sealed build or flog?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcish75

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Mods, apologies if this is in the wrong section, please move if it is.

I have a Polk DSW Pro 600 subwoofer given to me by a client that no longer works. The plate amp is trashed, I gave it to Nilam to have a look at it and he confirmed that it wasn't worthwhile trying to fix it. The driver and box are still perfect. I've been trying to source a new amp for it, (TBH, I haven't been trying very hard as the sub is superfluous to my needs) the problem is that this is the fancy model with the IR remote control to adjust volume, phase etc, so the couple of amps I have found have been R3000 plus. Just too expensive to justify buying and replacing the broken amp.

We're gonna be moving the Home Theater upstairs at some stage and decided to make the current downstairs area a chill out spot with the piano, guitars, clarinet etc and a reasonable stereo setup. I haven't done a nice sealed sub build yet, so I thought that I'd scavenge the driver from the Polk sub and build a "musical" sealed sub for the stereo setup. The driver does seem to be really decent, so I think it'll work well in this application.

On the other hand, many people would think it sacrilege to scavenge a sub like this and rather pass it on to an enthusiast that'll get a new amp for it and restore it to it's original condition. The problem with flogging it, is that I'd have to sell it for approx the same price as a new driver that's as good as the driver in the Polk.

What are your thoughts?

BNw7Vtf.jpg

5735em4.jpg

Latest posts